image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

What’s on your nightstand? Sept ‘12

Another book list already? Sorry.

I’d already started some of these so I didn’t include all of them in my Fall into Reading list. (Yeah, I can be unnecessarily strict with myself sometimes. But it’s okay; I’ll cut myself slack when needed, too.) 

And I did finish quite a few books this past month to tell you about (I had a lot of beach time!).

Just started

DivergentDivergent
   Book 1
by Veronica Roth

Just found out this novel is ready for me to pick up at the library. Excited!


The_Immortal_Life_Henrietta_LacksThe Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks 
by Rebecca Skloot

It’s the true story of the HeLa cells taken by scientists without Henrietta Lack’s knowledge in 1951, and used prolifically ever since. My interest was piqued when this book appeared on Auburn University’s suggested reading list for all students this summer.

Unshakeable-Faith-by-Kathy-HowardUnshakeable Faith
   8 Traits for Rock-Solid Living
by Kathy Howard

Reading this on the faith of Peter with the ladies at Do Not Depart. We’re on Lesson 2 this week. If you want to join in the study, it’s not too late and the book is not even required (although helpful).  

Im-Still-Your-MotherI’m Still Your Mother
   How to Get Along with Your Grown-Up Children for the Rest of Your Life

by Dr. Jane Adams

If you’re a mother of children out of their teens, you may have said (or wanted to say) to them at some point, “But I’m still your mother!” I’d like some tips on navigating these waters. Can I leave it at that for now? 

Tell-to-WinTell to Win 
   Connect, Persuade, and Triumph with the Hidden Power of Story
by Peter Guber

Stories move me. This book helps me see why.

 

If-you-want-to-writeIf You Want to Write
   A Book about Art, Independence, and Spirit

by Brenda Ueland

“Whenever I say ‘writing’ in this book, I also mean anything that you love and want to do or to make. . . . You must be sure that your imagination and love are behind it.” 
– Brenda Ueland

Finished

52-lies-heard-in-church-steve-mcvey52 Lies Heard in Church Every Sunday
   And Why the Truth Is So Much Better
by Steve McVey

The sleeper book of the year for me!

I was totally taken in by this one (published in 2011—why didn’t I hear about it?). I highlighted something from EVERY chapter. My Kindle quit notating it because I exceeded my limit. Even though I’ve finished it, I will go back and buy the paperback because I want to have it in “real” format. Highly recommended. (I need to do a review.)

You’ll see 52 Lies again at my end of the year Top 12 Books of 2012 post—unless something changes, it’ll be # 1.

Drops-like-Stars-by-Rob BellDrops like Stars
by Rob Bell

Oh, such a beautiful book. I know a lot of people don’t like Rob Bell anymore, but I still find him very insightful. I’d call this a coffee-table book—striking photos, minimal words, and much white space. It’s a book to feed your soul. I read it in two sittings.

Note-to-SelfNote to Self
   The Discipline of Preaching to Yourself

by Joe Thorn

I’d been looking forward to reading this one for awhile, and while it was good, I was slightly disappointed. Sometimes you can get expectations up too high and it deflates a book. It’s about the messages you need to preach to yourself (which I agreed with, for the most part).

Youre-Stronger-Than-You-ThinkYou’re Stronger than You Think
   The Power to Do What You Feel You Can’t

by Dr. Les Parrott

Um, still mulling this one over. I disliked the title from the get-go (sounds too self-help; too “Go, me!”) but I really like Les and Leslie Parrott, so I got it free to review. It definitely has some great points, but nothing particularly new. I’ll review it soon. (Sometimes in the reviewing process, I come to appreciate a book more.)

I-Exalt-You-O-GodI Exalt You, O God
   Encountering His Greatness in Your Private Worship

by Jerry Bridges

This is a 31-day devotional book about the attributes of God. Bridges writes a bit, then ends each section with scriptures-turned-into-prayers. Very good. Another review book I need to write up.

The-Discipline-of-Grace-by-Jerry-Bridges The Discipline of Grace
   God’s Role and Our Role in the Pursuit of Holiness
by Jerry Bridges

I’m on a Jerry Bridges’ kick. This book is ongoing with the Reading Classics Together group on Challies’ schedule but I finished it already. It’s beneficial in helping you see the responsibilities we have in pursuing holiness and the enabling power of the Spirit to do that.

grace-for-the-good-girlGrace for the Good Girl 
   Letting Go of the Try-Hard Life

by Emily P. Freeman

I hate not to say this is a fantastic book—it is very good—but it’s another that I had built up. So when I finally got around to it, it couldn’t live up to the hype. But I’d still heartily recommend it, especially for those of us who “grew up in the church” (if you did, you understand the phrase).

the-death-of-the-custodianThe Death of the Custodian
   The Case of the Missing Tutor

by W. Carl Ketcherside

The only thing I knew about this book ahead of time was my sister Sandy liked it. So I got it, and LOVED it. Excellent explanations between the old and new covenant, Old and New Testament, and a few other things in between. You can read it free online here.

The-RiverThe River
by Michael Neale

A good first novel by singer/songwriter Michael Neale. The story was a tad predictable at times, but not enough to get boring. It’s sticking with me awhile, the sign of a good story.

 

Writing-Down-the-BonesWriting Down the Bones
   Freeing the Writer Within

by Natalie Goldberg

She writes so well, which is the best inspiration for writers. But she also writes about writing: “Life is so rich, if you can write down the real details of the way things were and are, you hardly need anything else.”

Water-for-ElephantsWater for Elephants
by Sara Gruen

(Not sure if I should mention I read this one.) I hadn’t seen the movie and knew nothing about the book. But I took a chance with this novel on the beach a week ago. It was an intriguing story that I did enjoy, but I can’t recommend you read it because it does have some explicit sex scenes in it.

Falling-TogetherFalling Together
by Marisa de los Santos

I had seen this novel recommended and can also recommend it myself. An interesting story that pulls you into having to know, “What’s next???” (Another beach book—great for that.)

 

* * *What's on Your Nightstand at _5 minutes for Books_

What good (or bad) book have you read lately?

Please leave the title in the comments below because I might want to read it, too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails