image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Five Favorites of Homeschooling

friday's fave five Last week I started my 15th year of homeschooling. Some days I ask myself, “Why, oh why?”

But mostly, I’m overwhelmingly blessed by the opportunity to give this a go. Here are five, among many, of my favorite things about homeschooling.

1. Field trips
They’re not just for kids.
I learn the most from them. And usually have just as much fun. Last week we heard a post-mission report from four Space Shuttle astronauts of the STS-125 crew who had repaired the Hubble Space Telescope in May.  STS-125 Space Shuttle Crew

2. Facts
I love learning. And re-learning.
I retained amazingly little from my original trek through school. So going through each grade again has been an education not only for my girls, but also for me. Reading classics, figuring out trigonometric ratios, dissecting sharks—all in a homeschool day’s work.

My brain may turn to mush after I graduate Jenna, but until then, I’ll keep filling it up.  Algebra 2

3. Faults
Well, I’m not thankful that I have these. But homeschooling has magnified mine enough to grab my attention and shame. It’s humbling to see how impatient I can be when explaining negative numbers for the nth time, or how selfish I can be with my time when my child needs help after *I* was finished with school for the day. Or how out of sorts I can be when books and papers clutter our home during the school year.

Opportunities for growth, right? Right. Painful, but profitable. So I’m thankful. Books everywhere

4. Friendship
Homeschooling means you’re with your kids a lot. I mean, a lot. That means more talking, laughing, fussing, eating, singing, retreating, playing together. We see each other at our best and worst with quantity and quality time. My daughters are two of my best friends. Homeschooling has given us all extra time together to make that happen. Having fun

5. Faith
Through the years we’ve done much Bible studying, praying, scripture memorizing, serving, and talking faith. The most important reason I homeschool? To help my kids more fully know Jesus.

It’s also the scariest. Because if I fail here, it’s major. And I know my own example could be a deal-breaker. I pray that it’s not. Serving

* * * * *

The more I think about it, everything I do to bless my kids through homeschooling ends up blessing ME. Isn’t it just like God to work that way? He never ceases to amaze me!

For more Friday Fave Fives, visit Susanne at Living to Tell the Story.

16 comments:

Hazel said...

All the best on your homeschooling. I loved reading your faves and appreciate finding more about homeschooling. The laughter you shared with your daugghter on the photo is awesome. It must also be wonderful to hear those astronauts live. A great weekend to you!

Susanne said...

I so admire you ladies who take on homeschooling. I loved this post.

Lisa notes... said...

Hazel--I wish I were as young as that picture, but that's my two daughters doing the laughing together. :-) I'm glad that they are good friends with each other, too.

Barbara H. said...

We only home schooled for four years, but I can identify with everything here. Field trips were one of my favorite parts, too -- I probably got more from them while home schooling that I ever did as a student. And I love your perspective on #3.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my playground. I so appreciate it. I love how upbeat your week is. Learning, Friendship, Faith...great qualities. Have a Happy Firday :)

Jientje said...

I hyave great respect for what you do.I don't think we do that in Belgium, not sure? You look a very happy family!
Have a great week!!

Anonymous said...

Coming to your site is heart warming. I love watching you interact through your home schooling ideas and your wonderful girls.
I too am bless with two girls, both are professionals,in teaching and health.

Marg said...

Sorry that's me above. I selected the wrong profile.

Jerralea said...

Great post! I love alliteration so I definitely liked the way you put your FFF.

I could not homeschool my kidlets, but I am so glad that families have that option. I think it makes for stronger families, and stronger families definitely make our world better.

Brenda said...

I homeschooled on and off but I think homeschooling makes kids smarter. Usually it teaches them to be self motivated and to investigate things they are interested in. I think the little homeschooling I did taught my kids to be lifetime learners.

Lynn Severance said...

You will never regret these years of lesson planning and field trip attending, Lisa. I am sure we ALL could benefit from re-doing our own school years now that we realize how much they should have prepared us for life!

You are doing all of that so well for your daughters and truly being blessed yourself in the journey. A ++

ellen b. said...

I know what you mean about learning and re-learning. I love keeping my brain engaged. Homeschooling is so rewarding. Blessings on your efforts. Ahh being around God's creatures in close proximity can really show us our humanness and the reason we so desperately need/needed a Savior!! Have a great weekend...

Karyn said...

I loved this list! I homeschooled for 17 years - my last year was 2007 and although I enjoy the less hectic lifestyle of the semi-retired, I really miss the excitement and the chaos of homeschooling. My DIL homeschools my granddaughters and I always get a little nostalgic when she orders materials and sets up her new year.

I love your thoughts on how home education brings out our faults so they can be worked on.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Great faves! I never home schooled but you make it sound very interesting.

Laurie M. said...

I homeschooled my for 3 years and my only regret is that I didn't do it longer, as much for my daughter, but my son. I treasure the memory of those busy yet quiet times.

Melissa said...

As I read through your list, I kept thinking, "That's me, too." I thought I could mention one that I can especially relate to ... but I ended up with four. (We don't take many field trips.)

I appreciate the way you unwrapped each of these as a blessing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails