image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Why these books? - Fall 2012 reading list

Because so many books are available—far exceeding our time to read them—it’s wise to be intentional about your choices. What do you need to learn? What will bring you joy? What will grow your faith?

Fall-into-Reading-2012We all have underlying reasons why we read; we just may not think about them very often.  

I’m thinking about the why as I design my fall reading list. I’m choosing reasons first; titles second. (But just so you know: some of the reasons aren’t that great.)

If you’d like to do the same, make up your own list from 1-100 books and join us at Katrina’s for the Fall into Reading 2012 challenge. It’s fun and no pressure!

Here goes:

Grace_Max-Lucado1. Something on grace
     (It makes me love Jesus more)
Grace
   More than We Deserve, Greater than We Imagine
by Max Lucado

Pain-the-Gift-Nobody-Wants2. A favorite to re-read
     (The first reading challenged me, but it’s been years ago)
Pain
   The Gift Nobody Wants
by Dr. Paul Brand and Philip Yancey

The-Twisted-Scriptures3. On my shelf too long already
     (I need to either read it or get rid of it, but it’s about Christian unity so I want to read it; and I just read his The Death of the Custodian: The Case of the Missing Tutor and loved it)
The Twisted Scriptures
by W. Carl Ketcherside

Youre-Already-Amazing4. I won it
     (And I wanted to read it anyway; it’s a girly thing)
You’re Already Amazing
   Embracing Who You Are, Becoming All God Created You to Be

by Holley Gerth

Erasing-Hell5. A different viewpoint
     (I’m not sure I’ll agree and I need the intellectual stimulation of different views to force me to think things through)
Erasing Hell
   What God said about eternity, and the things we made up

by Francis Chan and Preston Sprinkle

Divergent6. Just for fun
     (I love novels; why don’t I read more of them?)
Divergent
   Book 1
by Veronica Roth

Sarahs-Key7. Historical fiction
     (I learn—and care—more about history through story; this begins in Paris, 1942)
Sarah’s Key
by Tatiana de Rosnay

A-Womans-Right-to-Rest8. Need to review it
    (And I want to understand more about biblical rest anyway)
A Woman’s Right to Rest
   14 Types of Biblical Rest that Will Transform Your Life

by Denise George

Do-the-Work9. To stay motivated
     (I have projects I’m in the middle of that I want to finish)
Do the Work
by Steven Pressfield

Charity-and-Its-Fruits10. Something classic and really old
     (Jonathan Edwards is tough reading, but so beneficial; plus, I started it three years ago and it’s time I finish it)
Charity and Its Fruits
by Jonathan Edwards

The-Good-and-Beautiful-God11. For spiritual formation
     (It’s highly recommended and my friend Lori is going to read it, too)
The Good and Beautiful God
   Falling in Love with the God Jesus Knows

by James Bryan Smith

The_Immortal_Life_Henrietta_Lacks12. Lessons from somebody’s life
     (And because Auburn suggested all their students read it)
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

by Rebecca Skloot

 

Branded13. To clean up my Kindle
     (I have WAY too many books there; this title grabbed me; and the author once worked at our local radio station)
Branded
   Sharing Jesus with a Consumer Culture

by Tim Sinclair

Renovation-of-the-Heart14. By a favorite author
     (Oh, how I love me some Dallas Willard richness)
Renovation of the Heart
   Putting on the Character of Christ

by Dallas Willard

Lost-in-the-Middle15. Season of life
     (I have a new empty nest and I don’t want to lose focus in it)
Lost in the Middle
   Midlife and the Grace of God

by Paul David Tripp

Tell-to-Win16. A book about writing (well, indirectly)
    (It’s about story, and the power of story so intrigues me)
Tell to Win
   Connect, Persuade, and Triumph with the Hidden Power of Story
by Peter Guber

Organized-Simplicity17. Cleaning house
    (I have clutter to attend to now that homeschooling is over)
Organized Simplicity
   The Clutter-Free Approach to Intentional Living

by Tsh Oxenreider

18, 19, 20. ? ? ? Something irresistible; I know me
     (There WILL be unexpected books I can’t predict now that I will HAVE to read; just keeping it real [shout-out to Adam])

* * *

What book do you want to read this fall?

UPDATE: The results of Fall into Reading 2012

RELATED:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails