image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

What I learned from Fall 2012 reading

Fall-into-Reading-2012Now that fall is officially over (and with it Fall into Reading 2012), I look back at what I read and wonder, “How did these books affect me? Am I glad I read them or not?”

Here are my answers.

Three I’m especially glad I read:

The-Good-and-Beautiful-God_thumbPain-the-Gift-Nobody-Wants_thumbThe_Immortal_Life_Henrietta_Lacks_th

The Good and Beautiful God
Falling in Love with the God Jesus Knows

     by James Bryan Smith
It’s so practical. It shows ways to actively pursue trusting God as the good and beautiful Creator he is.

Pain
The Gift Nobody Wants
     by Dr. Paul Brand and Philip Yancey
It was as good as I remembered. It reminds me that yes, pain can be miserable, but it is also incredibly valuable and don’t begrudge it; learn from it.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
     by Rebecca Skloot
There’s such a beauty in reading about how somebody’s ordinary life—and death—can so vastly affect others, even as they are unaware of it. (This book also made me admire the author’s diligence in getting the story in the first place.)

Other favorites:

The-Twisted-Scriptures_thumbCreating-Space-by-Ed-CyzewskiRenovation-of-the-Heart_thumbEvolving-in-Monkey-TownCharity-and-Its-Fruits_thumbBranded_thumbSarahs-Key_thumbLost-in-the-Middle_thumbDivergent_thumb

The Twisted Scriptures
     by W. Carl Ketcherside
Unfortunately, we all are guilty to some extent of blindly using scripture either as how we’ve always been taught or as only how we want to see it. This book reminds me of the importance of fighting against that tendency.

Creating Space
The Case for Everyday Creativity
     by Ed Cyzewski
Here’s permission to take/make time to create. Creating (whatever it is you create) has value; it has meaning; it’s important to God, to you, to the world. Love requires the individualization of creativity.

Renovation of the Heart
Putting on the Character of Christ

     by Dallas Willard
Dallas Willard takes you deep into the soul. Surface change won’t cut it; God wants to transform the heart.

Evolving in Monkey Town
How a Girl Who Knew All the Answers Learned to Ask the Questions

     by Rachel Held Evans
I relate to her spiritual journey so this book spoke to me loudly in several places.

Charity and Its Fruits
     by Jonathan Edwards
A great exposition of 1 Corinthians 13, but I’m not going to lie: it wasn’t easy. But there’s a sense of Indiana Jones accomplishment that comes from sifting through super-long Puritan paragraphs and antiquated words to uncover the jewels that come from Jonathan Edwards.

Branded
Sharing Jesus with a Consumer Culture

     by Tim Sinclair
This one caught me off guard because I wasn’t expecting much. But it was much. He has several great ideas on how to be the church differently and better.

Sarah’s Key
     by Tatiana de Rosnay
So I cried. This two-era novel set in both modern times and Paris during World War II moved me. And taught me new things and made me sad and kept me hopeful.

Lost in the Middle
Midlife and the Grace of God

     by Paul David Tripp
The right book at the right time. I want to do 50 well, not begrudgingly, so I needed this push in the right direction to let go of “It sounds so old!” to “God still has a purposeful future for me!”

Divergent
     by Veronica Roth
I could hardly put this novel down. In the genre of The Hunger Games, it pulled me into another crazy world (and made me thankful it was all pretend!).

 

Other good ones:

Grace_Max-Lucado_thumbThe-HobbitTell-to-Win_thumbIf-you-want-to-writeDo-the-Work_thumbYoure-Already-Amazing_thumbOrganized-Simplicity_thumb1Erasing-Hell_thumbA-Womans-Right-to-Rest_thumbUnshakeable-Faith-by-Kathy-HowardIm-Still-Your-Mother

Grace: More than We Deserve, Greater than We Imagine
     by Max Lucado
The Hobbit: Or There and Back Again
     by J. R. R. Tolkien
Tell to Win: Connect, Persuade, and Triumph with the Hidden Power of Story
     by Peter Guber
If You Want to Write: A Book about Art, Independence, and Spirit
     by Brenda Ueland
Do the Work
     by Steven Pressfield
You’re Already Amazing: Embracing Who You Are, Becoming All God Created You to Be
     by Holley Gerth
Organized Simplicity: The Clutter-Free Approach to Intentional Living
     by Tsh Oxenreider
Erasing Hell: What God said about eternity, and the things we made up
     by Francis Chan and Preston Sprinkle
A Woman’s Right to Rest: 14 Types of Biblical Rest that Will Transform Your Life
     by Denise George
Unshakeable Faith: 8 Traits for Rock-Solid Living
     by Kathy Howard
I’m Still Your Mother: How to Get Along with Your Grown-Up Children for the Rest of Your Life
    
by Dr. Jane Adams

* * *

What good book have you read this fall?

RELATED:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails