image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Learn it for later

For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.
     Romans 8:2

romans-8-first-letters1Maybe you don’t need the lesson now, but you will later.
God is more efficient than we are.

And I think I am fairly efficient. That’s part of my problem.

I like plotting out a day and checking off one item at a time. It gives me a sense of control. Not necessarily a bad thing. We should be good stewards of our time, as with any other resource God gives us.

But can the desire for control be a sign we’re living out of the flesh instead of out of the spirit?

I started memorizing Romans 8 on November 6, 2011. The plan seemed reasonable enough. Two verses a day, 19 weeks. I could expect to finish on March 17, 2012.

If all goes as planned.

The funny thing is: all is going as planned...with the memorization, that is. I am currently right where I thought I would be on Romans 8:34-35.

But it is life that is not going as planned. I had no idea that God was rooting me in Romans 8 last November so that when I reached February, I would be entrenched in it, benefiting by its gracious truths and strong promises.

God knew then what I would need now.

So he laid it out for me. One verse at a time. One truth at a time.

So now as I focus during Lent on doing one thing at a time, I’m having to trust even more that God’s plans for me are greater than what I can plan for myself.

Because, frankly, NOT multitasking isn’t feeling too efficient to me. Instead, I’m having to trust:

  • That if I set my mind on him (not my schedule),
         I’ll have life and peace (Romans 8:6)
  • That if I am a daughter of God (not a slave to my culture),
         I’ll escape falling into fear (Romans 8:14-15)
  • That if I’ll focus on his glory to come (not on the adversities of now),
        these sufferings will pale in comparison (Romans 8:18)

His Spirit is helping me in my weakness (Romans 8:26). 
He is interceding for me according to God’s will (Romans 8:27).
He is working all things out for my good so I can be transformed into his image (Romans 8:28-29).

I don’t have to do those things. Actually, I can’t do those things.

But I can believe the Lord has and that he will continue to.

If he gave up his own Son for me, then why shouldn’t I believe he’ll give me everything else I need (Romans 8:32)?  Including all the time to complete duties of the day that he wants me to complete. One at a time.

So when I wake up in the night and can’t get back to sleep, instead of reaching for a podcast or a book, I seek one thing—to rest in his presence. I meditate on his beauty from Romans 8. Just God and me. We’re working it out, one verse at a time.

And I can be confident that what I don’t need now, He knows I’ll need later. He’s not a God of waste.

He fills me up with all the gifts I’ll need at just the right time.
Yes, he’s just that good.

Nothing can separate me from that love (Romans 8:38-39).
Not now. Not ever.

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors
through him who loved us.
 
     Romans 8:37

* * *

What verses have you memorized that help you?

RELATED:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails