image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

No multitasking—Lent 2012

Out of a rut

I don’t mind ruts. Not if they’re happy ruts. Efficient ruts. 

But even in those, it’s not a bad thing to get kicked out of them occasionally. For better or worse, I’m outside of a big one.

And because of that, I can’t rely on auto-pilot for that routine.
I have to think harder. I have to be intentional.

Just in time for Lent. Although I’m not Catholic, I find value in observing the 40 weekdays leading up to Easter Sunday.

For fasting. For repentance. For reflection.

multitasking

One thing at a time

This year I want to fast from multitasking. (Thanks a lot, Michelle.)
To repent of my divided, scattered heart.
And to reflect on Jesus.

So instead of many things at once, I will pursue one thing at a time. I’m unsure how to do it. I know I’ll need grace. But I pray I will honor Him.     

It might look like this:

  • turning my phone off during church, not just setting it to silent
  • putting away the newspaper when you call instead of scanning it as we chat
  • choosing to either read or watch a show, not both at the same time
  • closing down e-mail when I’m trying to type up my thoughts
  • picking one major to-do a day instead of four
  • looking my family in the face when they talk instead of glancing at Facebook, too
  • using clocks as a guideline instead of a taskmaster
  • letting bedtime be rest time with no books or podcasts {groan}
  • and, if I get real radical, finishing one book completely before I crack open another

When I pray, focusing attentively. 
When I read, meditating fully.
When I sing, praising completely.

One thing at a time.

One thing I...

So this one thing I do:
     Press on toward the goal (Philippians 3:13-14).

For this one thing I seek:
     To dwell in His presence (Psalm 27:4).

Because this one thing I know:
     I was blind, but now I see (John 9:25).

Jesus, please be my one thing.

* * *

Are you fasting from anything for Lent?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails