image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

What’s on your nightstand?—Nov ‘11

The good news: I’m making a dent (albeit small) in my Fall 2011 Reading List.
The bad news: I keep adding more books to it. Oh well. 

Here’s what I’ve been reading in November.

Just started

a million miles in a thousand years donald millerA Million Miles in a Thousand Years
By: Donald Miller
     I got hooked on Donald Miller through his Blue like Jazz. This one is about his journey with the film industry as they edit his life for a movie. And about the story that each of us are living.

 

the_unwavering_resolve_of_jonathan_edwardsThe Unwavering Resolve of Jonathan Edwards
By: Steven J. Lawson
     I’d already decided I want to read more biographies in 2012, so when this came up for review, I grabbed it and couldn’t resist starting right away. As God would have it, this is about Edwards’ seventy resolutions, so it’s perfect reading as I head into forming my own spiritual resolutions for 2012.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of FireHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
By: J. K. Rowling
     I’m too deep into the series to stop now. This is the fourth book. It may be the best yet. I know these books were written for kids, but I also love a good, clean action story.

 

Christmas-is-not-your-birthdayChristmas Is Not Your Birthday
By: Michael Slaughter
     When I get a free book on my Kindle like this one, I start it tentatively, not knowing if it’ll be worth my time or not. I’ll know soon. It’s about (can you guess?) approaching Christmas differently.

 

Preparing-for-Jesus-by-Walter-WangerinPreparing for Jesus: Meditations on the Coming of Christ
By: Walter Wangerin Jr.
     Advent begins this Sunday, November 27. Since I benefited from Walter Wangerin’s devotional for Easter—Meditations on the Suffering, Death, and Resurrection of Jesus—I’m trusting this will be the same for Advent.

 

Quiet-The-Power-of-Introverts-by-Susan-CainQuiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can’t Stop Talking
By:
Susan Cain
     Because I’m an introvert myself, I like to keep up with what is discovered about us. For one thing, introvert doesn’t necessarily mean shy. (I’m reading the review copy; the official release date is January 24, 2012.)

Still reading

The-Faith-of-LeapThe Faith of Leap
By:
Michael Frost, Alan Hirsch
     Loving this one! It’s encouraging me to keep stepping away from routine Christianity and instead live my faith more adventurously. (Not always natural for an introvert. {smile})

 

Finished from October’s nightstand
What-Women-Fear-by-Angie-SmithWhat Women Fear
By:
Angie Smith
My daughter Jenna and I used this as a read-aloud with (in)Courage. We laughed with Angie, watched the video, and also had good conversations together about our own fears.

 

 

Going-DeepGoing Deep
By:
Gordon MacDonald
     Disappointing. It didn’t go as deep as it promised, but it did contain nuggets here and there on how to grow in your spiritual walk (i.e., becoming a deeper person).

 

MindfulnessMindfulness
By: Ellen J. Langer
     Although not written from a Christian perspective, this book can still benefit a believer looking to enhance their spiritual awareness of Jesus, others, and themselves by becoming more mindful.

 

The-Cross-of-ChristThe Cross of Christ
By: John Stott
     Whew. This was a hard read at times, but worth it. John Stott explains how the cross is related to every aspect of our lives.

 

Spiritual-DepressionSpiritual Depression
By: Martyn Lloyd-Jones
     I hated to see this book end. The richness of spiritual thought and encouragement will have me returning to it over and over. I wonder what took me so long to read it. If you’re still waiting, there’s no time like now.

* * *

What book is on your nightstand?

What's on Your Nightstand at _5 minutes for Books_

Fall into Reading 2011

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails