We anticipate the coming of Christmas.
We make lists.
We schedule activities.
We expect happiness.
I made myself a note for this day before Thanksgiving:
Prepare for Advent.
- Fresh candles of purple and pink are set in our advent wreath.
- Crèches are placed to mirror Bethlehem two thousand years ago.
- Music of babies and salvation and hope play through the speakers.
But my soul.
How do I prepare my soul?
To receive Christ afresh? Not just on Christmas morning, but every day?
I begin with giving thanks.
Instead of dreading the chaos that comes with Christmas, may I instead be thankful for its opportunities?
I rejoice that, at least for a season, the world remembers that God sent His Son among us.
At least for this season, may I take advantage and more openly express that love?
So I make lists.
I schedule activities.
I expect happiness.
I prepare for the coming.
• November 27 - First Sunday of Advent
• December 4 - Second Sunday of Advent
• December 11 - Third Sunday of Advent
• December 18 - Fourth Sunday of Advent
How do you prepare for Christmas?