image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

What’s on your nightstand—Oct ‘11

Here’s what I’m reading this month.

Just started

The-Faith-of-LeapThe Faith of Leap
By: Michael Frost, Alan Hirsch
     About living more spiritually adventurous.
Barely in chapter 1, but so far, so good. I think I need this one.

 

 

Going-DeepGoing Deep
By:
Gordon MacDonald
     About cultivating deeper people in the church.
It’s written in narrative form. The hook has pulled me in; I’m ready for its content now.

 

What-Women-Fear-by-Angie-SmithWhat Women Fear
By: Angie Smith
     About turning over our fears to God.
Jenna and I are reading this together and watching the accompanying videos at the (in)Courage book club. It’s nice to read about a few fears that I don’t actually have (but several that I do).

Still reading

Mindfulness

Mindfulness
By: Ellen Langer 
     About paying attention.
It’s not a Christian book, but I’m finding it easy to make connections with my faith. Finishing it soon with the book club at The High Calling.

 

The-Cross-of-ChristThe Cross of Christ
By: John Stott
     About why the cross matters in every part of your life.
It can be laborious in spots, but the good parts reward the hard readings. Plodding through with the group at Challies.

 

Spiritual-DepressionSpiritual Depression: Its Causes and Cure
By:
Martyn Lloyd-Jones
     About our lack of joy in Christ and how to get it back.
I’m sad I’m almost finished. I’m at 95% (Kindle talk—no idea what page # that would be). It’s a collection of sermons but they connect seamlessly and are so rich in theology and in practicality.

 

Finished from September’s nightstand

enemies-of-the-heartEnemies of the Heart
By: Andy Stanley
     About how to handle guilt, anger, greed, and jealousy.
This was actually very practical. I’m already putting it into practice when I need to deal with these issues. I’ll do a full review soon....

 

The-Practice-of-the-Presence-of-GodThe Practice of the Presence of God
By:
Brother Lawrence
     About remembering that God is with you all the time.
Oh, I love this little book. I’m sure I’ll re-read it again in another few years.

 

 

Harry-Potter-and-the-Chamber-of-SecretsHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
By:
J. K. Rowling
     About Harry’s second year at Hogwarts.
I needed some reading just for fun. I liked this second book more than the first one, but was advised not to stop at this one.

 

Harry-Potter-and-the-Prisoner-of-AzkabanHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
By: J. K. Rowling
     About Harry’s third year at Hogwarts.
I heard this is the book that would either hook me or not. Okay, so I’m hooked. I’ll read book four soon.

 

The Last Sin EaterThe Last Sin Eater
By:
Francine Rivers
     About an Appalachian community’s dealing with sin.
This Christian novel was not only entertaining but redeeming. I recommend it! Should I see the movie now?

 

* * *

What book is on your nightstand?

What's on Your Nightstand at _5 minutes for Books_

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails