image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

A people of the Book?

child-reading-bookOnce you were not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.
1 Peter 2:10

It’s not bad to be known as people of the Book.
     But isn’t it better to be known as people of God?

In my younger years, I thought only my religious tribe was a people of the Book. The “walking Bibles.”

     I was wrong.

The more exposed I became to other Christians in other churches, I discovered there were many who diligently studied the Bible. Many who quoted scriptures. Many who believed in God’s Word just as much as I did.

While we didn’t always agree on interpretations, we each held the Bible as our standard.

But there was more we had in common.

     It was Jesus.

The Bible by itself is a story tale unless it’s backed up by the living, breathing Savior written about in its pages.

As I’ve tried to focus on main things this Lent, I keep returning to this main truth: It’s Jesus.

  • It’s not church
  • It’s not perfect doctrine
  • It’s not even the Bible

Those are good things, important things, but they’re about more...about Jesus. He’s the point. He’s the center. He’s who I want to be identified with.

While I will continue studying my Bible—it teaches me truths about Jesus!—I don’t want my identity to stop there.

     I want to be known for who I worship: the Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

I won’t stop with the written word; I can’t have a relationship with a book.
The written word leads me to the Living Word. He’s the One who can love me. And whom I can love back.

A Being, not a book.
A Savior, not a system.
     Jesus. Jesus. Jesus.

You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.
John 5:39-40

* * *

What is your church or denomination most known for?

What about you?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails