image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

What’s on your nightstand?—Jan ‘12

Well...I still haven’t finished the last three books on my Fall 2011 reading list. But so many great books keep jumping ahead in my stack. What can I do but read them?

Here’s what’s on my nightstand (or in my Kindle) for this month.

Just started

Doing Life DifferentlyDoing Life Differently: The Art of Living with Imagination
   by Luci Swindoll
I love the message. I love Luci Swindoll. But the book hasn’t captured me yet. Too rambling for my taste. Jenna and I started it as a read-aloud together, but she dropped out and I’m already heavily skimming (the final stage before I stop altogether).

The-Shelter-of-God's-PromisesThe Shelter of God’s Promises
   by Sheila Walsh
This is our new read-aloud. We’re both benefiting from Sheila’s thoughts on the promises of God, mixed in with her stories and infectious personality. 

 

The-Resignation-of-EveThe Resignation of Eve: What If Adam’s Rib Is No Longer Willing to Be the Church’s Backbone?
   by Jim Henderson
So far, he’s caught my attention. Henderson interviewed women at varying degrees of contentment with the involvement allowed at their church. I’ll keep reading to see where he goes with it next. 

Harry Potter and the Deathly HallowsHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) 
   by J. K. Rowling
This is it. The last book. I want to read quickly so I can see what happens, but I also want to go slowly so it won’t end.

 

Still reading

Red-like-BloodRed like Blood: Confrontations with Grace
   by Joe Coffey and Bob Bevington
Stories from Coffeey and Bevington on where they’ve seen and been given grace. It strengthens my intentionality to be more open to my own confrontations with grace. 

 

Finished from December’s nightstand

Practicing-AffirmationPracticing Affirmation: God-Centered Praise of Those Who Are Not God
   by Sam Crabtree
Such a refreshing and encouraging book! I highly recommend it. Crabtree does an excellent job laying out why AND how to affirm others to the glory of God. (And he sticks so tightly to his topic; I love that in a book.)

Why-Its-Hard-to-Love-JesusWhy It’s Hard to Love Jesus: Moving from Empty Routine to Passionate Reality
   by Joseph M. Stowell
I’ll give you one of the reasons: because we underestimate how much we’ve been forgiven. Stowell contrasts Simon the Pharisee with the sinful woman in Luke 7. I’ll do a review soon.

 

Unfriend-YourselfUnfriend Yourself: Three Days to Detox, Discern, and Decide about Social Media
   by Kyle Tennant
I disagree with some of what Tennant says, but I do agree that we need to be intentional about our use of social media. I picked this book up as a free Kindle download at just the right time to help me with rethinking my blogging schedule

Harry-Potter-and-the-Half-blood-PrinceHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Book 6)
   by J. K. Rowling
The bad thing about books in a series is you compare them to each other. So, I didn’t like this one as much as Book 5. However, the good thing is that it doesn’t really matter; I must keep reading now to see how it all ends.

 

QuietQuiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can’t Stop Talking
   by Susan Cain
Loved this one. If you’re not an introvert, odds are you live with one. This book confirms some things you probably already know, but it reframes (and explains) some things you probably don’t. I’ve sent out a few tweets from it already, and as soon as I can figure out how to sum it up, I’ll write a review.


Preparing-for-JesusPreparing for Jesus: Meditations on the Coming of Christ, Advent, Christmas and the Kingdom
   by Walter Wangerin Jr.
Excellent little devotional. I read it during Advent. Wangerin has a way with words to prepare your heart for Jesus. The meditations begin on December 1 and go through Epiphany, January 6. I’ll pick it up again Dec. 1, 2012.

Divided We UniteDivided We United: Practical Christian Unity
   by Ed Cyzewski
Ed writes succinctly on why and how we can live out our unity that God has already given us. For a limited time you can download this eBook for free at Ed’s site. While you’re there, read his Women in Ministry series. He’s doing his part to actively pursue unity. (He’s graciously asked for my voice on February 24; I’m still chasing down my thoughts....)

* * *

What’s the last good book you have read?

What's on Your Nightstand at _5 minutes for Books_

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails