image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Quotes from “The Voyage of the Dawn Treader”

UPDATE, 12/21/10:
We saw the movie last Friday. It was excellent.

Although there was a new story thread added in, it didn’t distract from Lewis’ original story.

What about paying extra to see it in 3D? Don’t. The movie itself was exciting enough without the minimal extras that 3D provided. It was beautifully produced and proved both entertaining and enlightening.

If you’re a fan of The Chronicles of Narnia series by C. S. Lewis (more Lewis works here), you’ve probably already seen the film adaptations of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2005) and Prince Caspian (2008).

Chronicles of NarniaAnd are looking forward to seeing the The Voyage of the Dawn Treader to be released on December 10.

I re-read the book to prepare for it. Here are some of my favorite parts (emphases my own).

* Reepicheep: “...I expect to find Aslan’s own country. It is always from the east, across the sea, that the great Lion comes to us.” 
     “I say, that is an idea,” said Edmund in an awed voice.
     “But do you think,” said Lucy, “Aslan’s country would be that sort of country—I mean, the sort you could ever sail to?”
 

* The pleasure (quite new to him) of being liked and, still more, of liking other people, was what kept Eustace from despair. For it was very dreary being a dragon.

* But it was not the size that mattered. They knew it was Aslan. And nobody ever saw how or where he went. They looked at one another like people waking from sleep.

* “Your Majesties all,” said Reepicheep, “hear me. It is folly to think of avoiding an invisible enemy by any amount of creeping and skulking. If these creatures mean to bring us to battle, be sure they will succeed. And whatever comes of it I’d sooner meet them face to face than be caught by the tail.”

* Do you intend to show yourself to them?”
     “Nay,” said the Lion, with a little half-growl that meant (Lucy thought) the same as a laugh. “I should frighten them out of their senses. Many stars will grow old and come to take their rest in islands before your people are ripe for that.”

* “My son,” said the star, “it would be no use, even though you wished it, to sail for the World’s End with men unwilling or men deceived. That is not how great unenchantments are achieved. They must know where they go and why.”

* “What!” said Edmund. “Is there a way into Aslan’s country from our world too?”
     “There is a way into my country from all the worlds,” said the Lamb; but as he spoke his snowy white flushed into tawny gold and his size changed and he was Aslan himself, towering above them and scattering light from his mane.

* * *

Related:

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh yes, oh yes! My calendar is marked and I'm hoping for a quick re-read before the actual day! Looking forward to this!

Nikole Hahn said...

My husband doesn't remember the second movie. I'll have to rent the second one before we see The Dawn Treader, but I am looking forward to it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails