image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Real people have names

Lord-majestic-name

Why all the names?

As we were finishing our Nehemiah study, we kept facing name after name in the text. Kelly Minter, the author of our workbook, suggested we read every one to remind us these were real people.

Real people have names.

I sometimes struggle to remember names. I see the face, but not always the name. But when I do put the two together, a blessing occurs. When I say it. When they hear it.

Because saying a name acknowledges reality, a presence, a real person.

I’ve been making a list of names of friends I made in El Salvador last summer. I want to not only remember them this year by face, but also by name. Even if my pronunciation is poor. I’ve used Facebook to help me piece together families and remind me of the names I’ve forgotten.

God has a name, too. When we call on the name of Yahweh, we are blessed.

And for the sake of his name, we bless others.

I want to learn a new name every day. Of real people. People with families and histories and futures. People with souls made to praise their Father.

To praise his name. The name above all names. He’s as real as it gets.

O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!
Psalm 8:9

* * *

Have you learned any new names this summer?

RELATED:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails