image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

What’s on your nightstand? June ‘12

I am loving my summer books!

Just a quick update about the new stuff since I posted my spring reading wrap-up only last week.

Just started

52-lies-heard-in-church-steve-mcvey52 Lies Heard in Church Every Sunday: And Why the Truth Is So Much Better
   Steve McVey
Look out for this one! I’m on Lie 18, and already this book may make my Top 12 Books in 2012 (although I’d prefer eliminating this from the title “…Heard in Church Every Sunday” because it’s lies we believe about spirituality in general, not just church). Very gospel-oriented, i.e. grace-filled, about finding our sufficiency in Jesus, not ourselves.

Stopping-Stress-Before-It-Stops-You-Kevin-LemanStopping Stress before It Stops You 
   Dr. Kevin Leman
Yeah, so I’ve been feeling stressed lately. This one has been a freebie on my Kindle for awhile. So now’s the time. Is it helping yet? Maybe a little. :-)

 

The-Blue-Parakeet-Scot-McKnightThe Blue Parakeet: Rethinking How You Read the Bible 
   Scot McKnight
I’ve had this on my list for a few years. Finally quit waiting on the public library to get it, and just bought it. A good investment so far!

 

Hell-a-Final-Word-Edward-FudgeHell: A Final Word 
   Edward Fudge
I read his much longer book The Fire that Consumes a few years back and was forced to take a new look at scriptures about hell. This new book comes out concurrent with an independent film on Fudge, “Hell and Mr. Fudge,” which I’d like to see, especially since he’s from my neck of the woods—on several levels.

through-painted-desertsThrough Painted Deserts 
   Donald Miller
It’s one of his earlier books. I’m not liking it as much as some of his later works, but that’s okay (I tend to skim details about scenery anyway, just so you know).

 

Hidden Life of Prayer-david-mcintyreThe Hidden Life of Prayer 
   David McIntyre
Reading this with Challie’s Reading Classics Together. It’s not ground-breaking, but it does encourage me to pray more often so that in itself is good.

 

Still reading

Holiness-day-by-dayHoliness Day by Day: Transformational thoughts for your spiritual journey
by Jerry Bridges
(I’m about halfway through this year-long devotional, so I’ll drop it off the monthly list for now.)

 

Finished from May’s nightstand

selections-from-one-thousand-giftsSelections from One Thousand Gifts
   Ann Voskamp

 

 

The-gospel-of-yes-by-Mike-GlennThe Gospel of Yes
   Mike Glenn

 

 

 

coach-wooden-by-pat-williamsCoach Wooden 
   Pat Williams, James Denney

 

 

 

10-people-every-christian-should-know-by-warren-wiersbe10 People Every Christian Should Know
   Warren W. Wiersbe

 

 

 

myth-of-the-garageThe Myth of the Garage 
  Chip Heath, Dan Heath

 

 

 

the-transforming-power-of-the-gospel-by-jerry-bridgesThe Transforming Power of the Gospel 
   Jerry Bridges

 

 

 

zenintheartofwritingZen in the Art of Writing
   Ray Bradbury

 

 

 

churched-matthew-paul-turnerChurched
   Matthew Paul Turner

 

 

 

The-Truth-About-Grace-John-MacArthurThe Truth about Grace
   John MacArthur

 

 

 

by-faith-not-by-sight-scott-macintyreBy Faith, Not By Sight 
   Scott MacIntyre
An autobiography by the blind American Idol top 8 finalist in 2009. A very good book!

 

 

* * *

What book have you enjoyed lately?

We’re sharing reading lists here.

What's on Your Nightstand at _5 minutes for Books_

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails