image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Love defends

“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
                                                                      ~ LAO TZU

The phone rings. Jeff agrees to field this one.

Thirty minutes later, he hangs up. I can tell something’s wrong. He has news he doesn’t want to tell me, but knows he must.

        Will you promise you won’t get mad?
(Never a promising start.) No, but I can promise I’ll try not to.

Only the brave continue.
        OK. That thing we talk about a lot? That issue at church you want resolved? Well, it just took a few steps backward.

How can this be? I try to stay calm. Hard.  

Jeff tells me what he heard.
Then what he said in response. I feel a little better.

He tells me more what he heard.
Then more what he said. I feel even better.

And when he’s finished telling all he heard,
and all he said, I know why I married this man.

Love defends.

Was I still frustrated? Very. But not at my husband. He had stood up for the concerns we’d spent hours discussing. He showed clarity of thought. Care. Courage. I respect that.

Love stands up for what’s right, not necessarily what’s easy.

Love is bold, not timid; strong, not weak.

Love chooses truth over safety.

To defend me and things close to me, love went out on a limb of its own.

Isn’t that just like Jesus? Long ago, to ensure my deliverance from God’s holy wrath, he got in between God and me. He fought the battle so I wouldn’t have to. And restored the relationship.

When Love defends, the victory is sure.

Jesus defends me still in the skirmishes yet to be fought. And he sends people in the flesh to also stand up for me, beside me. To be a buffer between me and harm.

I am grateful for love that defends, protects, covers. It comes in many forms.

And it’s all grace.
I thank you, Jesus.  

The LORD redeems the life of his servants;
none of those who take refuge in him will be condemned.

Psalm 34:22

* * *

Where have you seen “Love defends” lately? 

Venture BannerMy year of VENTURE may have just taken an unexpected turn. Thank you for bearing with me ahead as I work through potential changes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails