image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

“Before the Throne of God Above”

This older hymn (1863) was originally titled “The Advocate” by its writer Charitie Bancroft. An apt name.

I heard this modern version by Shane and Shane at their concert Wednesday night. I was again reminded how complete the gospel is, how powerful, how loving. Thanks to our Advocate.

May it invoke praise in you, too, for our Advocate, great High Priest, sinless Savior, risen Lamb, Son of God!

...if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.
He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.
1 John 2:1-2

Before the Throne of God Above
Shane and Shane
LYRICS

Before the throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea
A great High Priest whose name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me

My name is graven on his hands
My name is written on his heart
I know that while in heaven he stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart
No tongue can bid me thence depart

When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within
Upward I look and see him there
Who made an end of all my sin

Because a sinless Savior died
My sinful soul is counted free
For God the Just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me
To look on Him and pardon me

Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Praise the One,
Risen Son of God!

Behold him there the risen Lamb
My perfect spotless righteousness
The great unchangeable I AM
The King of glory and of grace

One in himself I cannot die
My soul is purchased by his blood
My life is hid with Christ on high
With Christ my Savior and my God
With Christ my Savior and my God

* * *

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails