The joy of holiness is found in having heard a sweeter song.
~ Sam Storms, One Thing
What drives you to choose right?
- The fear of punishment otherwise?
- Avoiding guilt that accompanies doing wrong?
- Maintaining your holy reputation?
Or do you choose right...
- Because it brings you joy to please the Father?
- Because you delight in the things he delights in?
- Because you’re so in awe of God you want to follow his footsteps?
Honestly, it’s still a mixture for me.
I want to grow more towards the latter—to obey out of love instead of avoidance of consequences.
With increased knowledge comes intensified love. As understanding grows, so too does affection and fascination.
With each new insight comes more joy, which serves only to stoke the fires of celebration around the throne.
...In other words, the more we like God the more like God we become!
So how can we do that?
- Keep learning about God.
- Keep being amazed at his works.
- Keep focusing on his greatness.
Don’t just resist to avoid the bad;
concentrate hard on enjoying the good.
Listen for the sweeter song today and worship God in it!
One thing have I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and
to inquire in his temple.
* * *
Excerpts from Sam Storms’ book
One Thing: Developing a Passion for the Beauty of God
I highly recommend it!
What motivates you to obey?