image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

His oath, His sentence (...7 days til Easter)

Cross_He_Bore_Frederick LeahyReposting daily through Easter – excerpts from The Cross He Bore by Frederick S. Leahy

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Taking the Oath

   But Jesus remained silent. And the high priest said to him, “I adjure you by the living God, tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God.”
   Jesus said to him, “You have said so. But I tell you, from now on you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of Power and coming on the clouds of heaven. ” 
   Matthew 26:63-64

Warfield reminds us that our Lord’s life of humiliation ‘was not His misfortune, but His achievement,’ and that ‘He was never the victim but always the Master of circumstance.’

This must be borne in mind as we reflect on the Saviour obediently taking the oath. His response was clear: ‘You have said so,’ meaning, ‘Yes indeed; I am the Christ.’

Sentenced to Death

   Then the high priest tore his robes and said, “He has uttered blasphemy. What further witnesses do we need? You have now heard his blasphemy. What is your judgment?”
  
They answered, “He deserves death.” 
   Matthew 26:65-66

It is important to remember it was not just the Jews who were responsible for Christ’s death. Ultimately all mankind and every person must bear full responsibility.

...Every sinner has said in effect, ‘Away with Him. I will not have this man to reign over me.’

It was the realization of this fact that moved Horatius Bonar to write:

I see the scourges tear His back,
I see the piercing crown,
And of that crowd who smite and mock,
I feel that I am one.

‘Twas I that shed the sacred blood,
I nailed Him to the tree,
I crucified the Christ of God,
I joined the mockery.

Yet not the less that blood avails,
To cleanse away my sin;
And not the less that cross prevails
To give me peace within.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

8 comments:

Nikki (Sarah) said...

I always think...no denial of the truth will ever invalidate it. I'm grateful He was Who He said He was...Have a great Sonday Lisa...

aspiritofsimplicity said...

i love that "not his misfortune but his achievement."
And what a way for us to try to live. To take up our crosses and carry them as if they were trophies and not burdens.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

Yes,it was his achievement,his achievement so we can have eternity with him.
Blessings,
Ginger

Lisa notes... said...

Yes, I am always struck anew that Jesus was never a victim. He was always in total control, even of his dying. It was all voluntarily out of love. It makes his sacrifice even MORE amazing to me.

Barbara H. said...

I love that hymn/poem. I don't think I have ever heard/read it before. Thanks for sharing!

Pamela said...

I certainly don't deserve His salvation, yet it is so willingly offered to me. Salvation that cost my Savior his life. I don't think we can fully comprehend what all that means.

Pamela

Renee said...

I like the "achievement" thoughts here....and the words that bring us to the cross with great humility and thankfulness....Have a wonderful Easter Lisa...

Charlotte said...

So true. He didn't have to go through the humiliation, suffer and die. He did it because he loved us so much. He was in control of the situation at all times. Like he said. He could have called ten thousand angels to come set him free but he chose to die.
Blessings,
Charlotte

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails