image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

I need help

There is more hope for a fool than for someone who says, “I'm really smart!” 
Proverbs 26:12 (CEV)

FRIDAY OF THE FIRST WEEK OF ADVENT

Are you an outside Christmas lights decorator? While our family is not, we enjoy that others are. We associate lights with Christmas—on the eaves of houses, on Christmas trees, stars, candles—and especially in the manger.

When the true Light came into the world, everything changed (John 1:4-5, 9). We no longer had to live in our own darkness, but could rely on Jesus and his wisdom to illuminate our steps.

We need God’s assistance every step of the way.
During this Advent season we should be aware of the darkness of our own intellect and the need of God’s light at every moment of our existence.
~ Michael Dubruiel

How have you needed help this week to overcome the limits of your own abilities, to step out of darkness into light?

Here are five ways I’ve seen his light shine in my life the past few days:

1. Feeding the family
I hosted our extended family’s Thanksgiving meal on Sunday, but I didn’t have to do much cooking. I could never have prepared all the delicious food myself. I needed my sisters and aunts and in-laws to help so everybody could get properly fed. And still have their turn holding our sweet little nephew Alexander!thanksgiving-1

2. Prayer warriors
I know God hears the prayers of one, but aren’t there times when you feel the need to bombard heaven with multiple voices? It’s invaluable to have friends you can count on to talk to God on your behalf. I’m thankful for those who have done that for me this week.

3. Daily Bible readingtweetOf course the Word itself is the surest place to find help. I ran across this sweet little verse yesterday (1 Chronicles 19:12). I loved it so much that I had to tweet about it.

4. Inside connections
I needed to get an appointment this week but was told no openings were available until January. So I had to ask a 3rd party for intervention. Once she made a call, I was in.

5. Believing voicesBible notesWednesday night in song: “And right now in the good times and bad / You are on Your throne / You are God alone”

And in lessons: “In Christ we ARE secure (John 10:28). . .We have TRUTH over Satan’s deception (1 John 4:6). . . We are born into the NEW NOW (1 Peter 1:3,23). . .” and much more.

We can’t make it through this life alone.
We weren’t meant to.
Thank God we don’t have to.

If you think you know it all, you're a fool for sure;
real survivors learn wisdom from others.
Proverbs 28:26 (MSG)

* * *

Who has helped you this week?
(And do you just enjoy other people’s outside lights or do you put up your own?!!!)

12 comments:

Barbara H. said...

We put up very minimal outside lights, sometimes none at all. I'd like to do more, but they're my husband's domain, and after getting the tree and lights taken care of inside he's often not up to dealing with the outside.

That's good that you had an inside connection for that appointment!

I am thankful, too, for those willing to pray for me.

Hazel said...

Hosting a meal without having to do much cooking and having time with a sweet little family member is just perfect!

As I am alone this season I try to enjoy other people's outside lights :)

Trisha said...

It's always a blessing to read your Friday list of five things! I like your quote from your Advent readings about the danger of relying on our own intellect. I'm learning ever more that I need to fear my SELF more and more. :) Truly, I need to feast on His words, surround myself with them, and praise God for friends who truly speak His words to me.

There's something precious about seeing your Bible study notes...real truth that is such a comfort to us when the enemy whispers lies or we come up with them from our own sinful hearts.

Who's helped me this week? My sweet children and my Beloved are a blessing beyond what I could have imagined and help me and encourage me in so many ways each day.

Have a wonderful weekend, dear Lisa!

Jerralea said...

Some years my hubby feels up to doing outside holiday lights, some years he is not well enough. Today, he is attempting to put some lights up! Yay! It just gets the Christmas mood going to see the lights.

Makes me think of that song, "Arise, Shine, for thy Light has come!"

Lisa, I always enjoy your FFF post. You always point people to the Word!

nikkipolani said...

We have kept to a simple string of colored lights on the eaves as did our neighbors on the left and right. Thanks for sharing how lights have been part of your week and such good reminders to rely not only on ourselves.

Carrie said...

We don't decorate outside the house either but I love those who do it! Very enjoyable.

Prayer warriors would absolutely have to make this list!

I hope you enjoy a wonderful, blessed weekend!

Karyn said...

A very inspiring post, Lisa. I love the theme.....and the scriptures and quotes you've included.

Who has helped me this week? My son, my future daughter in law, my guests, my husband. And God.
We cannot 'do it' alone.

Thanks for the reminder.

Melissa said...

Your post made me smile. Thanks. :)

My husband and son decorate the outside of the house. (I wouldn't do it, but they enjoy it.) When it gets closer to Christmas, we'll take a drive to see everyone else's lights, too.

You're absolutely right that we can't do it alone. Well said.

Cindy said...

We always arrive home from holidays when it is cold and somehow don't get lights up outside, I enjoy everyones as well.

A light was lit for you with #4
take care, and have a great weekend

Brenda said...

Nice to have insider connections to help you when you need it!

Sounds like a great week.

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I loved looking at your list - oh yes, we do need each other.

My pastor helped me this week during a difficult situation. I'm so thankful we have a pastor who diligently searches the Scriptures for answers to tough questions.
And we are lit up inside and out here in Carson City, Nevada!

Blessings!

Willow said...

While our outlight lights aren't up yet, we did usually string one set along the front of our porch.

My TA helped me so much this week and that will make this week so much easier for me. The clerk at Joann's was also very helpful and pleasant :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails