image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

How to regain your Christmas spirit

SUNDAY OF THE THIRD WEEK OF ADVENT

Rejoice always, 
pray without ceasing, 
give thanks in all circumstances;
for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

bah humbugIt’s December 12.
Do you know where your Christmas cheer is?

Or have you lost it already in the stress of the season?

I confess my Christmas spirit comes and goes, depending on which aspect of Christmas I’m thinking about.

  • Food, vacation from school, Christmas plays, Advent readings
    ...spirit goes UP.
  • Deciding what to buy, actually finding those gifts, extra traffic
    ...spirit goes DOWN.

Michael Dubruiel reminds us today in Be Vigilant to use the apostle Paul’s “recipe for happiness.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 tells us:

If we want to be more joyful,
let’s pray more often and
keep thanking God no matter what happens.

Even if it’s longer waits at traffic signals and slower internet connections and getting a grouchy clerk? Yes, even in those things.
Pray without ceasing.
Give thanks in all circumstances.

Then watch what happens to your own spirit from your closer connection with His

* * *

I’m in. Are you?
What helps you keep your Christmas spirit?

10 comments:

Donnie said...

I have a lovely Nativity scene that reminds me that we are celebrating the birth of our Savior and that helps keep me grounded. Have a blessed Sunday.

Barbara H. said...

For me it takes an occasional refocus back to what the season is all about and a reminder that if anything else doesn't get done, in the long run it really doesn't matter.

Whidbey Woman said...

Thanks for this important reminder.
Have a happy Spiritual Sunday :)

MTJ said...

Hi Lisa,

This is my first visit to Lisa Notes, and this passage in 1 Thessalonians 5 offers excellent instructions. Last month, one of the bloggers I read quoted this same passage and as I meditated on it, I discovered that I can give thanks in all things by understanding that it is the will of God in Christ for me.

This has enabled me to have joy and share that joy with others. As we move closer and closer to celebrating the birth of our Lord, I have remembered how as a child, my excitement and joy increased as Christmas drew near. I'm thankful to God for reminding me of those childhood days, and for allowing me to have joy for today.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and heart.

We ought to always find motivation and reasons to pray...may we find the words and strength to say, "In this circumstance, at this moment, I give thanks to God."

Blessings and peace.

MTJ

Charlotte/For Such A Time As This said...

Yes, I'm in also! I keep the joy of Christmas by keeping my focus (the best I can) on the One who made Christmas...Jesus.

Vintagesouthernlife said...

When I get caught up in the rush of the season the spirit goes down... then I step back and remember what it is all about and I feel better.
Great reminder.

michelle said...

awesome advice! thanks!

Charlotte said...

Sounds like excellent advice to me. Thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Brenda said...

Enjoyed reading this reminder, Lisa. (BTW, I am your Mississippi cousin)

Lisa notes... said...

Brenda,
Thanks for stopping by. I didn't know you're a blogger too. Glad I've found you now. Love your pictures!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails