image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

What’s on your nightstand?—November ‘10

I’m especially grateful for my Kindle this month.

Five out of the six books I’m currently reading are compactly gathered inside it. It’s keeping my nightstand much neater. A closer look at each book here

Here are my books, along with a quote I highlighted in My Clippings.

Just started
1. Humility, Beauty of Holiness
     by Andrew Murray
“Just as water ever seeks and fills the lowest place, so the moment God finds the creature abased and empty, His glory and power flow in to exalt and to bless.”

2. Coffee Shop Conversations
     by Dale and Jonalyn Fincher
“Faith requires vulnerability with God and each other.”

3. Wild Goose Chase
     by Mark Batterson
“But Jesus didn't see a human interruption; He saw a divine appointment. And what did He do? ‘Jesus stopped.’”

4. On This Day in Christian History
     by Robert J. Morgan
“Many seem to think I am very poor. This is true enough in one sense, but I thank God that it is ‘as poor, yet making many rich.’ My God shall supply all my needs; to him be the glory.” ~ Hudson Taylor

5. Be Vigilant: Daily Meditations for Advent
     by Michael Dubruiel
[Starting November 28, the first Sunday of Advent…]

Continuing
6. The Holiness of God   
     by R. C. Sproul
“People treat each other unfairly. One thing is certain: No matter how much injustice I have suffered from the hands of other people, I have never suffered the slightest injustice from the hand of God.”

Finished from October’s nightstand
7. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
     by C. S. Lewis
“‘I will say the spell,’ said Lucy. ‘I don’t care. I will.’ She said I don’t care because she had a strong feeling that she mustn’t.”

8. The Healer’s Apprentice
     by Melanie Dickerson
“He had thought himself above petty feelings like envy and resentment, but he saw now that he was a common sinner after all.”

9. Evidence Not Seen
     by Darlene Deibler Rose
“In the cell I was grateful now for those days in Vacation Bible School, when I had memorized many single verses, complete chapters, and Psalms, as well as whole books of the Bible.... The Lord fed me with the Living Bread that had been stored against the day when fresh supply was cut off by the loss of my Bible.”

10. Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Thérèse of Lisieux
     by St. Thérèse of Lisieux
“The pretty clothes and the presents I had received could not satisfy me. Henceforth Our Lord alone could fill my heart, and all I longed for was the blissful moment when I should receive Him again.”

* * * 

What books are you enjoying this month?What's on Your Nightstand at _5 minutes for Books_ 

12 comments:

Barbara H. said...

I've read Murray's book and Lewis's, both a long time ago, as well as Evidence Not Seen a couple of times. The others are new to me and sound interesting.

Janet said...

Your reading lists always look so nourishing.

We're counting the days till the Dawn Treader movie around here. We haven't reread it recently, though.

Unknown said...

I love my Kindle too!! Unfortunately I don't use it enough, because I get all these paper review copies. However I have a stockpile of books on there. I'm hoping to read some on my Thanksgiving travels.

Trisha said...

Aw, Lisa, say it isn't so. :)

I'm still a rebel with the whole electronic reader thing. Is it something you just get used to? Don't you miss the book smell and the marking up (oh, that's right. You don't mark your books. :))?

I have a Droid phone (which I absolutely love) and it works with the Kindle downloads, but I just don't think I would enjoy reading my books that way.

Love reading your list, too. I'm gonna have to do this meme sometime. I've got lots of books on my nightstand. :)

Lisa notes... said...

Trisha,
I know. Sometimes I can't believe it myself. ha. I held out for a long time, but carrying all my books with me when I went on business trips with my husband got to be burdensome. Traveling with a much lighter suitcase had great appeal. The tipping point was finding several sources of free e-books for the Kindle, not having to leave the house to get them or having to return them to the library.

But I do still prefer a “real” book – I won’t be a traitor to my first love. :-)

Carrie said...

Humility by Murray sounds fantastic! I like Murray so I'll be curious to hear what you learn from that one. I love the way you share your reads and the way you apply them to life so -- thanks! =)

Stephani Cochran said...

I can't believe how much you read. It boggles my mind! I should read more. You put me to shame!

bekahcubed said...

Mmm... Kindle, kindle, kindle. One of the guys in my book club has a kindle and is actively evangelizing (about the wonders of said device). I have to admit I'm curious, but not enough to spend money on it--I'm a skinflint at heart :-)

I'm fascinated by that quote from Wild Goose Chase. Actually, I'm fascinated by what that quote might say about the contents of such an intriguingly titled book!

Lisa Hellier said...

A Kindle is on my Christmas list this year. I'm trying to downsize the weight of those things I carry around with me.

I read the Murray book this summer with my book club. We enjoyed it. I appreciated your quotes as well. If I receive my Kindle, I'll have to check back here for book ideas.

Lisa notes... said...

For potential Kindle buyers:

Amazon has a special Black Friday sale this Friday for the older version Kindles (it’s what I have) for $89. A very good deal!

Cassandra said...

Sounds like a great list! Happy reading.

My husband just picked up a Nook and loves it. I'm not yet convinced to leave behind my hard copies of books, but we'll see if it grows on me. ;)

Unknown said...

I have been considering a Kindle for a while, but I haven't taken the plunge. Glad you are enjoying yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails