image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

I didn’t get this, thank God

When a gift is in front of us—we can see it, play with it, eat it, whatever—it’s easy to be thankful.

But how often do we thank God for what he didn’t give us?

  • I’m thankful I didn’t catch Morgan’s virus when I was in Auburn last week
  • I’m thankful I didn’t fall asleep driving home when my eyes felt so heavy
  • I’m thankful I didn’t quit going to church every time I was bored/tired/sad/frustrated/etc.
  • I’m thankful I didn’t leave for Hardee’s the morning my mom died and miss her final hour
  • I’m thankful I didn’t let insecurity prevent me from getting to know the smart guys at church
  • I’m thankful I didn’t pull out out of the garage too fast the day I bumped the dog
  • I’m thankful I didn’t get a ticket when I was speeding between home and anywhere else
  • I’m thankful I didn’t give up homeschooling all the times I thought about it
  • I’m thankful I didn’t blurt out everything I was thinking
  • I’m thankful I didn’t go home but stuck around for class instead
  • I’m thankful I didn’t let fear of a repeat keep me from having another child after Kali died
  • I’m thankful I didn’t quit the 5:30 singing time
  • I’m thankful I didn’t keep saving the Moleskine journal for the ‘perfect’ use
  • I’m thankful I didn’t put off too long revisiting my mom’s assisted living facility
  • I’m thankful I didn’t give up on all men just because one relationship turned sour
  • I’m thankful I didn’t run face-to-face into that particular temptation that would have undone me

And

  • I’m thankful I’m not getting the punishment I deserve...
  • ...or the hell I’ve earned
  • ...or the consequences I’m due
     

Lord,
Thank you for
not giving me those things and many, many more.
Y
ou’re all good—in what you give and what you don’t give.
Not getting what I don’t need is a major gift.

* * *

13 comments:

Melissa said...

Amen, friend!

Monica Sharman said...

Ah, not just His grace, but also His mercy!

A friend once told me she was thankful for what her parents weren't.

Tiffany said...

His mercy is amazing! What a beautiful thoughtful post! Thank you for sharing.

Michelle DeRusha said...

I really like your take on this, Lisa. It's upside-down gratitude, and I love it.

Trisha said...

I love this, Lisa! Wonderfully encouraging post. I'm thankful daily He hasn't given me what I deserve.

Jodi said...

I often think on the this....the things I've been protected from that I'm not even aware of.

Barbara H. said...

This would be a good exercise -- I might try it some time! Thanks for a thought-provoking post.

Kara said...

Cool take on the gratitude list, Lisa. We all have a lot to be thankful for when it comes to the stuff that didn't happen.

Blessings,
Kara

Bonnie Gray said...

I LOVE THIS, Lisa!! So many awesome posts in the jam you've served up! So hard to pick a fave. :) This is right up there!... might be fun to do this for my quiet time... Thank you!

Glynn said...

It's the big stuff and the little stuff. The importance of a list like this (and the thinking that goes into it) is you realize just how many things there are to be thankful for. Good post.

Erin said...

I am so very thankful that God provides so much grace to his followers- that He doesn't give us what we truly deserve. Thank you for your words, Lisa.

Sheryl said...

Grace and Mercy! And so many of their cousins to be thankful for. I could relate to a few of the things on your list. And now I need to get the moleskine out and start using it. :)

Donna said...

Amazing reframe on thanksgiving!

Thinking of you as you experience your first Thanksgiving without your mother on this earth.

Go gently.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails