image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Sharing music (Nov 20 – Thanks)

November of Thanks 20 at 'Rebecca Writes' When I was a teenager, I didn’t listen to the same music as my parents.

I liked Kansas, Boston, Journey, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News (and, okay, Leo Sayer, Barry Manilow, John Denver, the Bee Gees … and, gulp, Prince).

On our long trips to visit grandparents in Mississippi, Daddy would turn the radio in our station wagon to either country music or old-time gospel songs. I would wince (but only inwardly). No voting allowed. No majority rules.

Now that I’m a parent myself and finally in control of the car’s music, I’m thankful that I enjoy basically the same stuff as my kids. We’ve somehow escaped the music wars by sharing a love for contemporary Christian music.

So we swap CDs, agree on radio stations, and belt out the same songs.

This week we’ve been listening to Casting Crowns new CD together, and tonight we’re going to a concert together to hear Leeland, Brandon Heath, and Francesca Battistelli. We’re all excited.

And I’m thankful.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Oh my - Huey Lewis and the News, Journey...brings back memories. I listened to some of those as well when I was growing up.

I'm thankful that our older daughter and I enjoy some of the same music as well - contemporary Christian. We also both enjoy Christmas music!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Karen

Julie Stiles Mills said...

Hip to Be Square is my ringtone!

My family enjoy music taste overlap too. My daughter and I really love contemporary Christian, my son and husband both really like classic rock (I like some) and I like some of the Christian punk my son has, like Relient K and even his Christian Hard Rock, like Skillet.

Aneto Okonkwo said...

Thats great that you can experience Christian music with your kids. Thanks for sharing. I found your blog while searching for something.

Since its relevant here and you might find it fun/useful. I also wanted to give a plug for a site Ive been working on that helps people share songs with their friends.

http://www.myradeo.com Its free, easy and there's no account signup. Login with Facebook. Check it out if you get a chance. Hope you like it. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails