image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

The right song at the right time

I’ve had a weepy week so far.

The orange trees, the cooler temps, the crunch of leaves – these are forever tied in my mind to the loss of my second child on a cold November day. So I live with a touch of melancholy at this time of year.

As I was driving alone yesterday to pick up Jenna, another wave flooded over me about Kali’s 16th birthday around the corner. 

Just then, an Aaron Shust song came on the radio, To God Alone.

Can You take me by the hand?
Can You use me as I am?
Break me into who You want me to be
When the time is finally right
Will You open up my eyes and show me everything You want me to see?
This life is not my own

This life is not my own.I have to be reminded of that quite often. I don’t control who lives or dies, or who God brings into or out of my life.

But what I can control is this: Will I give him the glory anyway? No matter what?

To God alone be the glory
To God alone be the praise
Everything I say and do
Let it be all for You
The glory is Yours alone
Yours alone

The song was just what I needed. The right song at the right time.

It reminded me of Job’s words. May none of us ever have to endure what Job did! But may we all have his attitude in whatever trials do come our way.

   Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head and fell on the ground and worshiped.
   And he said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD."
   In all this Job did not sin or charge God with wrong.
Job 1:20-22

So I join with Job, saying: “Blessed be the name of the LORD.”
And I join with Aaron, saying: “To God alone be the glory.”

3 comments:

Lisa Hellier said...

I think that is one of the sweetest mercies of God to send the right song, the right verse, the right recall of His faithfulness when we are struggling. All part of Jesus' promise to His disciples in Jn 14:26. May even in your melancholy you continue to know His sanctuary.

Kim from Hiraeth said...

The tender mercies of God expressed at just the right moment and in just the right way--'O how He loves you and me!'

Dorothy said...

Lisa, I am so very sorry for the loss of your son. I thank God for His sweet care for you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails