image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

At least a little

I decided last night: I would skip my workout this morning. I would be too rushed on my way out the door.

But when I woke up early, I thought, “Oh well, I’ll do just a little.” The minimum.

Sometimes that turns into more. Sometimes it stays just a little. But a little is better than nothing. And even a little can be good.

I do the same with Bible memory work. I have a set routine and order in reviewing the older verses and learning the latest.  my memory verses

But sometimes I think, “I don’t have enough time” or “I just don’t feel like it.

So I decide to do just a little instead. The minimum.

Sometimes little grows into big. Sometimes not. But a little is still better than nothing. And even a little can be good.

The memory work might turn into simply reading the verses instead. No testing of memory at all. Or I may only review a few, to linger on only one or two, letting those soak.

That’s okay.

Just as the end goal of my physical workouts isn’t to check it off a list—it’s to be healthy, so the end goal of memory work isn’t to check it off a list either — it’s to be spiritually healthy.

Transformed.

It’s not about me perfecting the words.

It’s about the Word perfecting me.

So I keep plugging away at my memory verses and chapters, a little at a time. Progress is sometimes hard to measure, and success, even harder.

But as long as I do at least a little, it keeps the door open for God to do a lot.

My physical workout this morning ended up fine. My memory work today? I haven’t begun yet. I don’t really have time and I don’t really feel like it. But I think I’ll do at least a little . . .

* * *

7 comments:

Elizabeth Dianne said...

Sometimes the pragmatic turns into the divine and I think that is what this post is all about--thank you for some great God-given logic injected into what can be a daunting adventure at times. Blessings, Dianne

Heather said...

This is so true. I feel like if I just read or recite one verse before I go to bed, it will infiltrate my mind, thus my dreaming and sleep itself will be affected.
Oooh, gotta work out too! Thanks for the reminder! :)
Heather

Debbie Petras said...

Lisa, I so identify with you girl. My workout today was cut short and I don't have my verses fully memorized but ...my desire is there. And I too want to be transformed by the Word.

Hugs,
Debbie

Sandy@ Jesus and Dark Chocolate said...

So do you work out EVERY morning???? I am with you on a little bit can only help, and it's better than nothing. I need to apply that to simply reading the bible, I struggle so much with that as of late.
And I do try to work out 3x a week, some weeks it's tough.....but something is better than nothing! ":)

Julie said...

This is great insight! Thank you for sharing.

Lisa notes... said...

Sandy, I definitely don't work out every morning. Whew. It makes me tired just thinking about that. I'm with you on 3x a week. Although it seems like those three days come around twice as often as the four days I don't work out. ha.

A and C from GA said...

Beautiful! It’s not about me perfecting the words.

"It’s about the Word perfecting me.
I love what you said here"

Amen!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails