image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

I don’t have to understand

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8,9 NIV)

My husband met Felix, a homeless man, on the streets of Memphis in March. The man carried a suitcase and a smile. old suitcase

My husband and his friends asked him, "What's in your suitcase, Felix?"

He replied, "My music." Then Felix sang. He danced. They clapped. A simple moment that came out of nowhere, and seemed to go no further.

Why the chance meeting? What was its purpose? Only God knows.

There are many things that I do not understand. Big things—like the perfect number of light years the sun is from the earth, or how God inserts the breath of life into every human being.

I don't even understand many small things—like why I love ketchup, but don't like tomatoes. Or why I'm enthralled listening to an orchestra, but am too clueless to play their instruments.

But how beautiful it is, that I do not have to understand the instruments in order to appreciate the music! I don't have to understand what makes the sky blue. I marvel at the sky anyway.

Whether or not I understand how baby teeth grow in and wisdom teeth are taken out, I can still appreciate God's perfect design in it all.

So also I don't have to understand how my body can have good days and bad days, yet the Lord's mercy is sustaining me in both. I don't have to understand why he chooses to heal one person and not another. I trust He knows what He's doing. And His way is best.

I can praise my Maker for things I don't understand because I know He has a glorious plan beyond my imagination.

The plan is rarely clear to me. But that's okay. I don't have to know the full plan in order to praise the Plan-Maker. I'm safe in His hands. Because I know the One who does know, I'm okay with that.

Father, I thank you for making a plan for each of us, as we are, in sickness and in health. We praise You that You know far more than we do. Let us find rest in You and Your knowledge, and not our own.

Originally written for and
published by Rest Ministries
May 16, 2009

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails