image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

What’s on your nightstand? March ‘13

Every 4th Tuesday, we share what we’re reading. I haven’t made much headway since last month.

Just started

open-mind-open-heartOpen Mind, Open Heart
The Contemplative Dimension of the Gospel
by Thomas Keating
 

Loving the spiritual depth of Thomas Keating. He makes me pause every few sentences to make sure I’m getting it. This book is about Centering Prayer (a new discipline to me) as is the next one...

centering-prayer-and-inner-awakeningCentering Prayer and Inner Awakening
by Cynthia Bourgeault

A sweet new friend in my Centering Prayer group read this book then gave me her copy. It expounds a little more on Keating’s work and is also very helpful. I learn so much from stepping outside my normal religious traditions to see what is helpful to others. 

Still reading

draw-the-circle-mark-batterson_thumbDraw the Circle
The 40 Day Prayer Challenge

by Mark Batterson

It’s based on Batterson’s book The Circle Maker, but it’s really a whole book in itself. Batterson is a firm believer in prayer and is good at giving lots of examples why. I’ve been using it during Lent. My review is here.

walking-in-the-dust-of-rabbi-jesus_tWalking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus
How the Jewish Words of Jesus Can Change Your Life

by Lois Tverberg

This book goes deep in explaining the story behind the stories in the New Testament. Author Tverberg shares her research of the traditions and sayings that were common in Jesus’ day to help us better understand them in ours.

the-merchants-daughter-melanie-dicke[2]The Merchant’s Daughter
by Melanie Dickerson

This is my guilty pleasure book. My friend Melanie writes adaptations of well-known stories (this one is based on Beauty and the Beast) in medieval settings. I loved her first novel, The Healer’s Apprentice, and am enjoying this one equally. I’m already looking forward to reading her third one, The Fairest Beauty.

the-survivors-club_thumbThe Survivor’s Club
The Secrets and Science that Could Save Your Life

by Ben Sherwood

Such interesting stories and statistics! The latest chapter I read in this book about extreme survivors was about the role that faith plays in survival. I wasn’t surprised to see how important an element it is.

Finished from February’s nightstand

Wrecked-Jeff-Goins_thumbWrecked
When a Broken World Slams into Your Comfortable Life
by Jeff Goins

With an almost autobiographical tone, Goins shares experiences that have shaped his adult spiritual journey and gives gentle guidance on how to live out your own. It’s not always what you want to hear, but it’s valuable.

Gathered-in-the-WordGathered in the Word
Praying the Scripture in Small Groups

by Norvene Vest

When I mentioned to the lady leading my Lectio Divina group that I was going to lead a group myself in a one-time session, she loaned me this book. It’s a great overview of how to do Lectio Divina and why. It also provides appropriate scripture passages to use, and lays out a pattern for doing Lectio on your own.

* * *

What book(s) are you reading this month?

Whats-on-Your-Nightstand-at-_5-minut

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails