image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

A worry antidote—trust God today for tomorrow

The Greek word for worry, merimnao, stems from the verb merizo (divide) and nous (mind).

Worry cleavers the mind, splitting thoughts between today and tomorrow. Today stands no chance against it.

Fretting over tomorrow’s problems siphons the strength you need for today, leaving you anemic and weak.
~ Max Lucado, Max on Life

today_and_tomorrowSince I’m peeling back worry extra vigorously this year, I get this quote.

Most of my worries aren’t about today. Even if now is hard sometimes, now is okay. God is here with me in now.

And while I *know* he’ll be with me in tomorrow just as assuredly as he is with me in today, I’ll never catch up to tomorrow.

Yet I’m a planner. For the future. When I’m prepared, I’m not worried.

But who can fully prepare for tomorrow? Only one—God.

So if I’ll use today to invest in him—whether through planning or executing—my mind won’t be split, i.e. worried.

If “today stands no chance against worry,” tomorrow’s problems stand no chance against God.

Tomorrow can never outrun God’s grace.

So today I will trust him—for today and for tomorrow.

Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
Matthew 6:34

* * *

Do you also struggle to stay in the day? What helps you?

15 comments:

Nikki (Sarah) said...

someone told me worry is another word for fear and fear and faith are oppostites. Great encouraging post Lisa....Hope your Sunday is the best.

Julie said...

Super post!! Thanks Lisa...and oh my ...I have had Matthew 6:34 memorized in my head and heart since at least college days...I quote it ALL the time. What a great piece of wisdom and reminder from God to self-talk every day!!! Have a blessed Sunday! Hugs!!!!

Quirky Homemaker said...

Stopping in for Spiritual Sunday! I love that quote from Max Lucado. I might have to check out that book. Love your post. So short and to the point!

Sherry Southard said...

Knowing God is in control of my life and He has my best interest in mind, it helps me trust in Him so that my worries are replaced with peace.

Virginia said...

That has been my word for today, started at 6am.. Don't worry!
O Lord, what would we do without you? Your word is a lamp upon my feet and a light upon my path...Psalm 119

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

Thank-you for this timely post.
God Bless,
Ginger

bekahcubed said...

That quote by Max Lucado, with its breakdown of the word "worry" reminded me of Psalm 86:11 (as I learned it as a child in the 1984 NIV) "Teach me your way, LORD, that I may rely on your faithfulness; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name."

It reminds me that having a divided heart (which I often feel I have) is a result of not relying on the faithfulness of God.

Thus I pray, as David did, that God would teach me His way, that I might rely on His faithfulness; that God would give me an undivided heart, that I might fear His name.

Cassandra Frear said...

I read a quote somewhere that what we worry about never happens. And it's true! When bad things happen, I'm always surprised.

So now, when I catch myself worrying, I say, "Well, that must mean it's never going to happen." I know this is not fully rational and logical, but percentages are in my favor -- so it's likely that I'm quite right.

And it works. I smile and go on through the day, minus one more anxious thought.

Lisa notes... said...

Cassandra,
I like that tactic. I may add it to my arsenal as well. :-)

Saleslady371 said...

Tomorrow can never outrun God’s grace. What a great line! Lately, I've been asking God about that which I'm worrying about. Then I try to find a scripture promise to dwell on instead of the worry. Praising helps too.

Elisabeth Black said...

Thank you! I really needed this. I have been doing a lot of borrowing tomorrows problems. Someone recently told me I can plan for tomorrow but not panic for tomorrow.

I am having trouble understanding the difference, but I'm working on it. I'm also working on dealing with my own "What if it's not perfect." I'm the poster child of The prefect being the enemy of the good. For me if it's not perfect, then why do it?

Barbara H. said...

That quote and definition are very helpful and reminders to me that when I am worrying, my attention is divided from what it should be. And it is so very true that fretting over tomorrow's problems (or even the next hour's problems) or possibilities siphons off strength needed for today.

Pamela said...

Great Lucado quote. And so true. Sigh. It's hard work not to worry! I do try, though. It's a command from God -- Anxious for NOTHING! Needed the remindier.

With joy,
Pamela

Charlotte said...

These thoughts are so true. We just got the Max Lucado book. I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. I've been a Lucado fan for many many years. Thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Renee said...

I love what you say about peeling back worry...I am doing the same Lisa and God has been speaking to me loudly about it. There have been many "opportunties" for me to to practice trusting God and letting go of worry...sometimes I make progress...sometimes not BUT when you say peeling back worry I guess it is like an onion..many layers and one at a time we peel it. Love that!
Like Max Lucado's quotes...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails