image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

I couldn’t decide what to give up for Lent

“I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God,
“who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”
Revelation 1:8

The past several years I’ve figured out something to give up in the 40+ days leading up to Easter. Caffeine. Limited internet. Complaining. Afternoon cookies.

But nothing pressed in on me this year.

praying_handsExcept one thing. It’s an addition, not a subtraction. The 40-Day Prayer Challenge.
Praying together with my husband.

But we immediately hit a snag on Wednesday: not being in the same physical location due to separate travel. So we’ve been praying together over the phone. It’s not quite the same as sitting close and holding hands but it’s still good.

And it’s making me more aware of:

1. I am limited.
I am so limited by location and senses and time and understanding and health and money and age and....

2. God is NOT limited.
Nothing confines God.

No space. No body. No time. No person. No resource.
Nothing.

So as Jeff and I work through our physical limitations this Lenten season to pray together—most of the time at home but sometimes apart, I’ll be thankful that God has already removed the spiritual limitations between Him and us.

  • Wherever we are, He hears us.
  • Whenever we talk, He listens. 
  • Whatever we say, He understands.

And I’ll be thankful for things I never have to give up:
His limitless strength, His limitless grace, His limitless love.

* * *

Are you giving up anything for Lent?

RELATED:

11 comments:

Gayle said...

Love this post! I am trying to eat healthier.

Unknown said...

I am working on not complaining and whining. These two were really dragging me down at work (teacher)It was making me dislike my job....As a family we are giving up eating out...this came about today... we were spending too much money and energy going out to eat...my hope is that we will do more talking and hanging out together...I love your prayer challenge... only good can come from that!

Karen said...

This is my first year to observe Lent. After our ladies' retreat last weekend (about deepening our relationship with God), I felt called to participate in the observance of Lent by forgoing sodas, candy, and chips. It already feels different than any other time I've stopped any of the above for the usual reasons.

Saleslady371 said...

A wonderful choice. Please write more of your experience during this season; I'm eager to hear. Have a great Sunday. I have to tell you....afternoon cookies....you're my kind of girl.

Brenda said...

Praying together--what a beautiful habit. All part of a legacy of showing your children and the world how important prayer is to your lives. Just like you, your children will have examples to pattern after.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

This is a wonderful idea. It is easier to say than to do. I pray that you find the time to do this each day and I will be looking forward to reading how it's going.
God Bless,
Ginger

Nikki (Sarah) said...

Hey Lisa...this is so great. the two things that jumped out for me....I am limited...God is not. Hope your Sonday is the best.

Renee said...

It is a wonderful gift to be able to pray with your husband/spouse isn't it. About 5 weeks ago Joel and I decided to add private time in the morning and then gathering together to share and then have morning devotions together. We have that privelege due to our health issues ( one of the gifts that has come from Lyme). We have been amazed at the changes it has brought to us individually and together. Wishing you well in your Lenten focus. It will be a blessing!!!

Dianna said...

What a precious post, Lisa. I haven't felt impressed or compelled to "give up" anything this year. Instead I've added something ~ more time of study in His Word with a definite focus on the price that HE paid for my sins...and that HE arose again to give me Hope. Think of you every day. ;)

Nanette @momneverstops said...

I really enjoyed this post. After reading this it has made me think about the things I need to work on.
Thanks

Charlotte said...

I love this. Certainly with God there are no physical limitations. In fact, there are no limitations at all. Thank you for this encouraging post.
Blessings,
Charlotte

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails