image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Promises, promises

…The LORD is faithful in all his words and kind in all his works.
Psalm 145:13b

Psalm 145 word cloudDo you keep certain scriptures and promises of God close to you?

I’ve been meditating on Psalm 145 in the wee hours of insomniac mornings. So I was thrilled Wednesday night at 6:30 when Stuart focused on this psalm in a medley of songs and words for our worship.

I’ve also been excited this week to see promises popping out everywhere on my plants, declaring “Blooms are on the way!” in the near future.

As promising as they may look though, there’s no guarantee they’ll flower out.

But God’s promises are certain!

Just in Psalm 145 alone are enough promises to get us excited about the season we’re in, as well as the eternal spring around the corner.

Here are five among my favorite promises of God from Psalm 145.

1. He’s greater than you can even imagine
Psalm 145:3amaryllis_budThe first time I saw this I was shocked. I had no idea amaryllis were even in this garden dish. And then when they actually bloomed, wow! I’m surprised even this week to see buds again.

Don’t think you can overestimate God. He’s always full of surprises. His greatness is so over the top that you can never think too highly of Him. 

2. He will always be good to you
Psalm 145:9tulip_shootsI think I’m supposed to pamper my tulips a little more than I do. But thankfully they get enough sustenance without my help to send shoots back up and then provide the most beautiful pink color in the spring. They’re some of my favorites.

Regardless of how the world treats you, the Lord is good to you all the time. Sometimes that goodness may hurt (i.e., discipline), but if He promises compassion on all He has made—and He does—you can count on Him.

3. He will lift you up every time you fall
Psalm 145:14bougainvilleaThis bougainvillea may look like a goner, I admit. But it’s not. It looks this pathetic every winter, but with warmth and sunshine on the way, it will grow new shoots and be beautiful by late spring.

Your situation may look hopeless at times too. But God promises to support you and help you back up every time

4. He will always be nearby listening to you
Psalm 145:18-19buttercupsButtercups are everywhere, huh? They pop up in places this time of year that I never remember even planting. They’re among the first of my flowers to bloom and are the hardiest to grow most anywhere.

Wherever you go, whenever you truly cry out to God, He promises to be right there. Nobody else can make a promise like that and fulfill it.

5. He will preserve you in His everlasting kingdom
Psalm 145:13,20Daddy's graveMonday was the 1-year anniversary of my dad’s death from lung cancer. I miss him terribly. But I’m grateful he’s more alive now than he’s ever been, celebrating in God’s eternal kingdom.

It’s the ultimate promise. Not only life in the full now, but eternal life in the presence of Jesus. Forever.

* * *
Have you seen buds or blooms this week?

What promises of God do you hold dear?

On Fridays we share five favorites at Susanne’s. But every day we can bless Him and praise His name forever and ever (Psalm 145:2).

Thanks, Jenna, for shooting special-order photographs for your mom!

18 comments:

Katie said...

My favorite promise is Psalm 139. The whole psalm is a daily prayer for me!

Melissa said...

Oh, so many! The first one that comes to mind is from Hebrews (quoting Deuteronomy):

...God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”

Kathie said...

A lovely post Lisa! I've been meditating on John 14 and this verse comes to mind - " Do not let your heart be troubled. Trust in God. Trust also in Me."

Happy weekend!

Jerralea said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing Psalm 145 with us. I'm going to study it more closely.

I've always loved Psalm 37.

Your pairing of scriptures with blooms is inspiring!

Hazel said...

I used to remember promises in the Bible... maybe I need to review some. But God's promises are certain - I totally agree. Maybe it's the reason why I didn't really panic when I learned of CJ's PDD. I want to thank you for praying for him. I appreciate that very much.

Anonymous said...

Such wonderful encouragement, Lisa. Thanks for the sense of peace. Good stuff.

ellen b. said...

Ahhh...I love your FFF filled with promises and encouragement. Wonderful. I like your insomnia exercise too! Blessings on your weekend.

TXDidi said...

What a special post, and so apropos with the new buds coming out and the tips of the Spring greenery starting to peek out from the ground. Certainly a good time to remember God's promises and characteristics.

Barbara H. said...

I've been wondering/hoping that I might find a few plants popping up here at our new house -- I don't know what they have planted -- but so far haven't seen anything. I just saw a bit of green grass peeking through the old tan stuff, though!

These are wonderful reminders.

I didn't realize (or I had forgotten) that your dad passed away on Valentine's Day. Those first anniversaries are hard, especially when it also involves a holiday. Praying for you!

Willow said...

Great post, Lisa. You are encouraging me to meditate on Ps 145 this next week.

My parents both passed away the week before Valentine's Day but eight years apart and several years ago. I still miss them--and that is normal. As the years go by, I continue to remember them with more happiness and more smiles. I pray you will too.

Brenda said...

These are all important truths to be reminded of, and they help us get through the hard times.

Stephani Cochran said...

Just stopping by to say hi. Your focus always seems to be so accurate. Thanks for sharing what's on your hear and uplifting us all in the process. Have a great weekend!

Cindy said...

I feel so many days like your bougainvillea and I have faith also that Spring is a pick me up, and God does deliver. This time of year is especially hard as so many of my loved ones have left us in the month of January and Feburary.

Buds or blooms this week, I'm laughing as I turn and look out the window at the 8 foot of snow bank between here and everywhere. So I have a box of bulbs that I forgot to plant and I'm keeping in the dark the only ones I can see with buds on them.
I'll miss your posts.

Michelle DeRusha said...

I really like how you walk us through Psalm 145 using the various plants as metaphors for the verses. Last year I carried John 14:1 with me all year: Do not let your hearts be troubled; trust in God, trust also in me."

Susanne said...

Such a wonderful, uplifting post, Lisa. My favorite promise is the one in Lamentations 3: 22-26 telling me His mercies are new every morning. Because of Him I have mercies and a new start every day.

Jientje said...

I love that third one, so true!
Have a great weekend!

Catherine said...

We're still quite a ways away from seeing blooms. I still have about 6 inches of snow in my yard. =( I do have some nice flowers blooming inside, and that cheers me. I love your fff photo posts. I still miss my father too, in the everyday moments, but I know he is waiting for me.

penguinsandladybugs said...

I need to mark this one in my Bible and read it....meditate on it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails