image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Give it away boldly

Whoever brings blessing will be enriched,
and one who waters will himself be watered.
Proverbs 11:25

babettes_feastBabette showed up on their doorstep unexpectedly,
unknown, a refugee from the French civil war. The two strict Christian sisters took her in, welcoming the stranger into their bare Denmark home.

Because Babette was quiet, unassuming, she lived with the sisters for twelve years with no one discovering the gift she carried inside.

But luck found her out. A winning lottery ticket from years past chased her down.

And with it she would unwrap her gift.

The movie Babette’s Feast reveals the details of the culinary delights that Babette has shipped into the tiny house. She arranges a feast beyond imagination for the pious residents, but familiar to her former life.

The dinner guests from the village slowly open up to enjoy the plenty of the gourmet French meal, delighting in pleasures they knew not existed.

Only one worldly general understands the cost of the meal and the skill required in preparing it. In his speech at the dinner table, General Loewenhielm says,

“We have all been told that grace is to be found in the universe. But in our human foolishness and shortsightedness we imagine divine grace to be finite….

But the moment comes when our eyes are opened, and we see and realize that grace is infinite.

Grace, my friends, demands nothing from us but that we shall await it with confidence and acknowledge it in gratitude.”

I saw this foreign film a few years ago, and it hasn’t left me. Reading of it again this week in Philip Yancey’s What’s So Amazing about Grace reminded me that we each have gifts, and like Babette, we need to confidently pour them out on others.

Uncover your gifts sooner rather than later. Then give them away. Let others delight in the pleasures that God legitimately gives you to give them.

With no fear of running low.
Who can use up the supply of the Father?

Boldly give your gift this year. To whoever needs it, wants it, takes it.

The more you depend on Him,
the less you’ll have to depend on you.

Be confident that He’ll keep supplying the ingredients if you’ll keep serving up the feast.

* * *

What gift do you want to give away this year?
    
I want to give away more grace.

We’re sharing a call to boldness at Bonnie’s.

12 comments:

Barbara H. said...

This is something I've been pondering as we've moved to a new area, and consequently, a new church, which doesn't have any of the particular ministries I was involved in in my old church. Still waiting and praying about how the Lord would have me involved there and in other ways.

Dianna said...

Excellent post, Lisa! You've given me something to think upon today as I work around the house. Thank you!

Trisha said...

My oldest son and I enjoyed this movie a few years ago, too, Lisa. Thanks for the reminder to revisit it, AND to ponder if I'm using God's gifts for His glory.

And, thank you for blessing us with your heart for His truths and your edifying words! Hugs!

Cherry Warrick said...

Thanks for these thoughts ... so good! And such a great movie to portray these truths. I liked your sentence, "Uncover your gifts sooner rather than later. Then give them away. Let others delight in the pleasures that God legitimately gives you to give them." Good words to think on at this start of a new year ...

Jamie said...

I'm going to think upon this lesson for a while. It is so difficult for me to think what could my talent/gift be.

Amy Nabors said...

Excellent post. Definitely something I should think about.

Bonnie Gray said...

I thought about writing and words... as writers, we tend to wrestle with whether we will have something for tomorrow. Love these choice thoughts of encouragement, Lisa. So happy your part of the jam!

Laura said...

This is a movie I have always wanted to see, Lisa, but for whatever reason, have not. I did see Chocolat, which I understand is sort of based on Babette's Feast.

This is good truth, what you write here. Our gifts are for the Body, right? We can't bless unless we GIVE THEM AWAY. That thought is both thrilling and humbling for me.

I'm still chewing...

Anna said...

What an encouraging thought - that He gives never-ending grace for us to lavish on others.

Glynn said...

Babette's Feast is one of top two favorite movies. I came to the movie via the short story by Isak Dineson (which the movie was very true to). I was amazed at how Dineson captured the story of lavished grace. Good post, Lisa.

Shaunie @ Up the Sunbeam said...

I haven't seen this movie, but will now! "Be confident that He’ll keep supplying the ingredients if you’ll keep serving up the feast." This is a good reminder Lisa--every time I finish a card design or a blog post, I'm so afraid that it will be the last idea I have worth sharing. That must be my clue that I'm depending too much on me. Thank you for this!

Unknown said...

"Uncover sooner than later" - what great truth :D My Gift to give away is refreshing in any way, shape, or form that God shows me to.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails