image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Who gets your thanks?

When you give a gift, it’s to somebody (even if it’s a faceless organization). By default, giving implies there’s a recipient.

Somebody is on the receiving side.

So when you give thanks, who are you giving it to?  How aware are you of the recipient?

What are the requirements for any sort of thanksgiving to happen?

Something we’re thankful for and somebody to thank.

Seems so obvious, but I think I need to say it because it’s amazing how many people can say, “I’m thankful for . . .” without admitting that God is there to hear their thanks. 

~ Noël Piper, Treasuring God in Our Traditions

The next time you catch yourself saying, “I’m thankful for...” remember to add who you’re giving your thanks to.

Today I’m thanking the Father for being the recipient of our thanksgivings.

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever.
Give thanks to the God of gods, for his steadfast love endures forever.
Give thanks to the Lord of lords, for his steadfast love endures forever.
Psalm 136:1-3

* * *

Who do you gives thanks to?
Join us at Rebecca’s every day in November.
At Ann’s we’re talking about the The Practice of Giving.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am giving Thanks to MY AWESOME GOD today for Lisa's Notes !
Blessings ! Janet :)

Barbara H. said...

I am thankful that I know to Whom to give thanks. Sometimes I wonder what Thanksgiving even means to those who don't know Him or acknowledge that He is the giver of all good things.

Monica Sharman said...

Oh yes...not just "thank you" but "Thank you, JESUS!!!!"

Melissa said...

Thanks you, Lisa, for the reminder. Too often I forget that it is GOD who's giving me the gifts in my life.

Rhonda Schrock said...

Giving thanks for the Holy Spirit who enables me to accept the hard things.

For the kisses of boys.

Faithful love of a husband.

Dirty blue jeans. By the bushel basket.

Fresh, hot coffee just ground.

A brand-new book by my favorite author just begging to be read.

And many, many more.

Waving and smiling this Wednesday...

Trisha said...

Lisa,
We say, "Thanks be to God" a lot in our home, but you're right...I didn't always finish my expressions of gratitude that way. I love this book by Noel Piper, too. It's one of those it is always a blessing to re-visit.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails