image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

5 Lessons from Chilean Miners

He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure.
Psalm 40:2

chile_excitement If you watched any of the 33 Chilean rescues this week in the Atacama Desert, you’ll know what I’m talking about.

Here are 5 things we can learn from them: 

1. Rest in the rescuechile_phoenixWhen you’re the most helpless, you also have to be the most trusting. Riding ½ mile in the capsule from the pit to the light required no physical action on the miners’ part; just a whole lot of trust!

2. Hug tight. Hug long. Hug with both hands. chile_hugDidn’t you love the big bear hugs they gave? I didn’t see any one-handed, pat-pat-pat on the back from these guys. It was both hands, whole body, all your breath.

3. Show excitementchile_president_national_anthemYou know this cheer now, right? CHE CHE CHE LE LE LE los mineros de Chile!

When you’re happy, don’t be afraid to show it. It makes everybody else around you happier, too. When Chilean President Sebastian Pinera led the national anthem after # 33 Luis Urzua was up, nobody was mealy-mouthing the words. They sang with gusto from their hearts and with their bodies.

4. Say thank youchile_thanksNot just to one person. To a lot of people. And smile when you say it.

Urzua and others thanked different rescuers and officials for the different roles they played. Saying thank you is always a good thing.

5. Give credit to God miner_Esteban_Rojas_prays
I loved it when a miner stepped out of the capsule, fell to his knees, and thanked God before doing anything else. Know who to credit first. All good gifts originate with Him.

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights...
James 1:17

* * *

What did you learn from watching the rescues?

See great pictures at The Big Picture.

11 comments:

Melli said...

I did feel the rescue spoke straight to our own rescue from the depths. God is sO faithful. He was faithful to those 33 men, and He is faithful to us. And I wonder... who among those 33 was brought to Christ by this experience... and how many others amongst their friends and relatives. I can't help thinking God used this opportunity well.

Barbara H. said...

I didn't actually watch any of the coverage except a couple of videos people posted on Facebook -- I get most of my news via radio and rejoiced as I heard the updates. These are great applications. One of the things I loved is how the whole world pulled together to hope for them and root for them. I'm not a "one world" kind of person -- we won't be in perfect unity until Christ returns -- but for those couple of days people turned aside from their own concerns and cared about the fate of people they didn't know hundreds of miles away.

Cindy said...

Watching the first miner come up was terrifying to say the least. I can't begin to imagine the fear, frantic, faith, that was going on down under.

The last of the miners were up, and I had to pull away from the tv. God bless the 5 workers who went down to gear them up. And everyone involved.

Jerralea said...

Great post, Lisa! My favorite is the miner who immediately thanked God when he got out. God deserves to be first before anything else!

I love it when the world unites - I know it can't last until Jesus comes - but for the few hours it happens, it's beautiful.

Melissa said...

This is a great, great list of reminders! We so often tend to live "halfway," without fully involving ourselves in the things that matter.

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

Oh, Lisa -- I loved this! Especially "hug fully"! And the family moments -- those children running to Daddy. That was awesome.

Love your application this week. Have a great week ahead.

Islandsparrow said...

I was glued to the news to watch that rescue - it was incredible! You bring out some great reminders from it. Thanks!

Happy weekend!

Marg said...

I saw it all... You captured it so well...I was glued to the TV like a sports event...
I love the way you compared it to our Christian walk...my thoughts wandered there many times as I saw there expression of thankfulness.
Great minds think alike.

Brenda said...

That was such a moving experience, you pulled some great lessons from that!

Carrie said...

Awesome post and good points to make! I really enjoyed the reminders as I read through this.

Susanne said...

Love, love, love this post! If you were next to me I'd give you a big two handed hug for what you made me feel as I read this. :v)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails