image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

The good of broken

broken vaseHow would you answer question 7?

one_wordOne word. Quick. What’s yours?

My niece Danielle asked us on our family’s Facebook page. Responses included:

  • Blessed
  • Anxious
  • Journey

I answered:
me in one wordI could have substituted another word: Broken. (And that’s okay, too.)

I recently chipped a figurine. I didn’t expect the broken piece to pick itself up and glue itself back on. If it was going to be fixed, it would take outside help. 

When we realize how broken we are, we should recognize our helplessness as well. The world says, “Pick yourself up by your bootstraps!

But God says, “Pick me! Pick me! Let Me heal you” 
(Psalm 34:17-18).

So we needn’t feel threatened by our brokenness. Brokenness is okay. Because when we’re broken, we’re more dependent on God.

And dependence on God is where our recovery and strength come from.

Let’s rest is in His response to our brokenness. It’s what He came to do (Mark 2:17). And it’s where we find our healing.

He heals the brokenhearted
and binds up their wounds.
His delight is not in the strength of the horse,
nor his pleasure in the legs of a man, 
but the LORD takes pleasure in those who fear him,
in those who hope in his steadfast love.

Psalm 147:3, 10-11

* * *

Read more on brokenness at One Word at a Time.

Related:

7 comments:

bekahcubed said...

O--thank You, Lord, that we don't have to fix ourselves. If we did, we'd be broken forever.

And thank you, Lisa, for sharing truth day after day--It has certainly blessed my heart.

~*Michelle*~ said...

" It’s what He came to do "

Can I hear an Amen?

Great post!

Sue Harrison said...

My one word is "healed."

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this...and it made me wonder what my one word would be. :)

Glynn said...

Brokenness is dependence, which is often foreign to us. And then when it comes, we can be taught. Good post.

Donna said...

Thought-provoking; action prompting post.

Dependent is my word.

Lisa, thanks for stopping by my blog today.

Anonymous said...

Amen! Thanks for this.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails