image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

10 Top Life-Changing Books

I am shaped by words…specifically, The Word.

I become what I study; I am what I read.

Word has chiseled me, stretched me, connected me, hammered me, compelled me, rebuilt me, and intensified me.

I can’t explain why, using exact words, but
these 10 books
have moved me the most,
from there to here.

1. The Holy Bible 
It’s the master source for all other words.
Without this Word, there would be no others. 

Desiring God by John Piper 2. Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist
     by John Piper
It taught me that my greatest pleasure would come through loving God. And invited me with a subtle urgency to go all out in seeking Him, for my good and His glory.

Celebration of Discipline by Richard J. Foster 3. Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth
     by Richard Foster 
I wandered into spiritual disciplines through the back door. This book laid out a structure that fit, keeping me better positioned for God to change me.

The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence 4. The Practice of the Presence of God 
      by Brother Lawrence
Little things count. I learned here how a monk long ago turned the most menial tasks into glory for God. And how I can attempt that, too.

The Search for Significance by Robert S. McGee 5. The Search for Significance: Seeing Your True Worth through God’s Eyes
     by Robert S. McGee
When I question my worth or my purpose, I still get this book out to remind myself in specific ways what God’s Word says about me instead.

Men and Women by Larry Crabb 6. Men and Women: Enjoying the Difference
     by Larry Crabb
After a fight with my sweetie, this book has brought me to repentance over and over. It also taught me to use my God-given, distinctive resources as a woman to better serve and give to my husband. 

Forgive and Forget by Lewis B. Smedes7. Forgive and Forget: Healing the Hurts We Don’t Deserve
     by Lewis B. Smedes
When I had a biggie to forgive, this book showed me how. And why. It sped up my healing.

8. Free in Christ  
     by Cecil Hook
It was the first book that cracked the veneer of my religion’s legalism, years ago. And I wiggled out, free, never to return to the same bondage again.

Lies Women Believe by Nancy Leigh DeMoss 9. Lies Women Believe: And the Truth that Sets Them Free
     by Nancy Leigh DeMoss
This book (not just for women) taught me to recognize the subtle and not-so-subtle lies that Satan tricks us into believing. And how to counteract them with truths from the Father.

Face to Face by Kenneth Boa10. Face to Face: Praying the Scriptures for Intimate Worship
     by Kenneth Boa
I use it several times a week. It helps me vocalize my own prayers using scripture itself.

* * *

What books have changed you?

Related:

4 comments:

Jude St.John said...

Interesting list Lisa. Of the books you have mentioned, I have only read #1 and #2.

Great post!

Brad said...

I like your list, Lisa. Have you read the Prodigal God by Tim Keller? If you liked Piper's book, your bound to like this one too. God bless.

Brad

Debbie Petras said...

I was curious to see which books you would chose. I see that we have similar tastes. Of course, the Bible would also be number one on my list. I've also read and enjoyed "Celebration of Discipline", "Search for Significance", "The Practice and the Presence of God", "Lies Women Believe" and "Face to Face".

In fact, I subscribed for a time to Ken Boa's book club. He had a book list of many of the classics and would send a tape each month of things to consider.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Lisa notes... said...

Jude:
I've been meaning to ask you which John Owens book you'd recommend--I've noticed you tweet quotes from him a lot, and I'd have no clue where to start.

Brad:
No, I have not read "Prodigal God" but I will now! Thanks for the recommendation.

Debbie:
It was really hard narrowing down to 10; there were some close calls. I find it interesting that we've both read 6 of the 10. Blessings to you, too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails