image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

John 15:5 – Memory Monday

More Memory MondayIt’s Memory Monday. What are you memorizing this week? Add a comment about it at The Simple Wife.

Learned last week:
I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.
John 15:5 I am the vine

Two words that I focused on:
1. abides
It’s from the Greek word menō meaning to stay (in a given place, state); continue, dwell, endure, be present.

That’s what Jesus wants us to do: stay tight; hang on; be present. Don’t go wandering off looking for greener pastures; you’re in the greenest already.

2. nothing
I already know what nothing means. Zilch. Nada. Zero.

Jesus did NOT say, “You can do plenty without me; go ahead and do what you can. Then give me a call whenever you hit a wall.

Or “Since you won’t need me for everything, let’s divvy up what you will do and what I will do.

No. He said, “Apart from me you can do NOTHING.”

Really, Jesus? Nothing? Yes, really. Nothing. 

Without Jesus, we may THINK we’re doing something—sharing the Word with eloquence, building a faith to move mountains, giving all we possess to the poor. But without Jesus, it is nothing (1 Corinthians 13:1-3).

So stay on the vine. Live there. Only there.

Will learn this week:
     Now I know that the LORD saves his anointed; he will answer him from his holy heaven with the saving might of his right hand.
     Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.
     They collapse and fall, but we rise and stand upright.
Psalm 20:6-8

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails