image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

When sin makes room for you, don’t breathe it in

Learned last week:
My son, if sinners entice you, do not consent.
Proverbs 1:10

I know nothing about Hebrew, but I like to read Strong’s definitions for the original meanings anyway. The Hebrew for entice is from a root word meaning: to open, be (or make) roomy, to be (or make) simple.

Is this how you’re convinced to sin?

Somebody else, or your own desire, opens you up to the possibility of finding satisfaction elsewhere. They scoot over and make plenty of room for you to join them in their sin: Breath of Life “There’s more than enough to go around. It’s so simple and fun. Quit thinking so hard about it; just join in!”

You’ve been enticed.

Instead, do the opposite of consenting. Consent in Hebrew means: to breathe after; to rest contented; be willing.

So don’t breathe in the lies of sinners. Get your breath straight from the Spirit. It’s fresh air. Only in God’s will is there true rest.

Learning this week:

5  Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.
6  In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
7  Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD, and turn away from evil.
Proverbs 3:5-7

* * *

It’s Memory Monday (see more verses at The Simple Wife).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the reminder. I love your blog; I've always enjoyed your writing. One of two I make a point to keep up on (although I'm still catching up now that I'm following it). Well, there's a third, but he's a history prof and way too prolific for me, but I do scan his page a lot. Now that Google Reader brings them straight to me it's a little easier. BTW, am I the only one who comments consistently here?

I've been mostly writing facebook notes, but I'm gonna try to figure out how to link back and forth to the two. I've got a couple friends that do that. One who transfers it from another blog (which brings in the formatting that is harder to do in facebook) and the other who constantly links his stuff.

Anyway, to the comment here. That first line really hit me. I haven't connected as well with the campus ministry here as at Central. There's no place like Central! (Although I just visited Sterling Blvd in Sheffield last Sunday. They may rival it, in a smaller congregational setting.) Since I didn't connect I just up and starting meeting people on campus with evangelism in mind, thinking I would reconnect once I developed some relationships there. Needless to say, those relationships predominated since they were pretty much the only ones I had. It's hard not to be enticed by worldly friends when they're the only ones you're around. But visiting Winfred (and Ben but I don't think you know him) and their families over break grounded me again. Not sure what I'm gonna do toe "fix" this, but I'm at a more stable point now.

Lisa notes... said...

Thanks, G. I appreciate the encouragement. Yeah, Google Reader definitely makes it easier for me to keep up, too. My commenters come in spurts and for certain categories. It’s always fun to read what others have to say, though, so I definitely welcome comments.

I agree—Central is certainly different, and in a good way. Sometimes I have to take a step back from it to keep my appreciation for it fresh. Sorry you haven’t found a good replacement down there. God may want to be using you in those different ways though; who knows? But, yeah, you need to stay grounded. Glad you reconnected with Winfred (no, I don’t know Ben), and that it helped.

Stay strong! And come visit us for a Sunday singing soon! Don’t know what your schedule is like but our next singing is scheduled for Sep 20, 1:15, upstairs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails