image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

How do you “keep” words?

Luke 11 But he said, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!"
Luke 11:28

Jesus had just cast out a demon in a man who had been mute. Many marveled at this miracle, but others sneered. So Jesus taught them more, drawing such admiration from the crowd than a woman raised a blessing of honor to the woman who bore him.

His reply?

You think she’s blessed? Those who hear God’s words and keep them are the really blessed.

I want to be in that category.

I know I hear God’s words. But what does it mean to “keep” his words? In my mind, it means “obey.” In Greek, it’s phulasso, meaning to watch, be on guard, to preserve.

But “obey” and “guard” are not exactly interchangeable in my vocabulary. How do I guard his words? Watch and keep them? Yes, by obeying, but also by watching if I’m living them out or not, guarding them as valued treasures, preserving them as truth.

And therein lies the blessing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails