image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Don’t give me a band-aid

luke_8 Soon afterward he went on through cities and villages, proclaiming and bringing the good news of the kingdom of God. And the twelve were with him, and also some women who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities...
Luke 8:1-2

band-aid heart I sometimes skim over verses like these—narrative that seems to only move along the story. But when I slow down, this is what I see:

(1) Women were hanging out with Jesus and the disciples. Jesus valued women. Over and over we see that in his actions and his words. He values us as much as men. No partiality.

(2) These included some women he had healed. Those he heals want to follow him.

What has he healed me from?

He’s healed me from the long-term consequences of my sin. I won’t pay the death price that I owe.

But he also heals me every day. I need it. In my sick nature, I want to please me. Do it my way. And even come across as looking good while I do that.

I need healing. So he washes away the impurities and gives me a healthier way to live. By not looking at self. Looking at Perfection instead. When I focus on him and his wounds, mine disappear.

It’s a radical shift in perspective. I don’t always live there. But I want to. And the only way I can? By following him around. Not by keeping laws to try to keep myself healthy, but by living out of relationship with the doctor.

I don’t want a band-aid. I want the cure. I’ve found it in Jesus. Follow him.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails