image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

What’s on your nightstand?

Nightstand Now that the Spring Reading Thing 2009 is over, I’m back to my no-rhyme-or-reason book selecting—because of a cool subtitle or picture; a recommendation from a friend or the footnotes within another book; or possibly even something from my actual “I want to read” list (!), which has so many titles that I’m embarrassed to tell you how many.

On the 4th Tuesday of each month, Jennifer at 5 Minutes for Books asks, “What’s on your nightstand?”, so here’s my latest stack. And why.

nightstand_june 1. The Traveler’s Gift by Andy Andrews
Why?
Because I was impressed by Andy Andrews on a PBS special a couple years ago. When I read his The Noticer a few weeks ago, it reminded me that I never read this book when I originally wanted to. Never too late.

2. Falling in Love with Jesus by Dee Brestin & Kathy Troccoli
Why?
Because I was at my sister’s house and she said: “Hey, you want to read this book? It would probably help with your class.” And I said, “Sure! Thanks!”

3. Against the Machine by Lee Siegel
Why?
Because it caught my eye on the “Recommended Reads” shelf as I was passing by on my way to another shelf of library books. Its subtitle is what snagged me: “Being Human in the Age of the Electronic Mob.”

4. She Still Calls Me Daddy by Robert Wolgemuth
Why?
Because from the choices of free books I had to choose from, this looked the best. Not coincidentally, it came in the mail a few days before we were surprised by Morgan’s engagement. The subtitle of this book? “Building a New Relationship with Your Daughter After You Walk Her Down the Aisle.” Pretty cool timing on God’s part, huh? It wasn’t lost on me.

5. The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard
Why?
Because I typically like whatever Dallas Willard writes. That’s why I read it the first time a few years back. This time I’m reading it because Richard picked it as the basis for our Wednesday night class. I have to go slowly. 

6. Surrender All by Joni Lamb
Why?
Because I said I would. So I am. I don’t have to go slowly.

7. Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Jeremiah Burroughs
Why?
Because it’s proven itself through time, and Tim Challies has us reading it in his “Reading Classics Together” group. I am going the very slowest with this one. Savoring… 

5 comments:

Janet said...

Looks like a great list, and I loved getting your "whys."

I didn't quite finish 'Divine Conspiracy' when I read it, more because of circumstances than the book. Lots of good stuff there -- and you're so right about going slowly. I especially liked the part where he talked about Jesus being the smartest man who ever lived.

Anonymous said...

Falling In Love With Jesus sounds interesting...I may have to add that one to my list. I also enjoyed reading why you selected each book.

Thanks for sharing!

Susan said...

A lot of these sound promising ... thanks for the ideas! I enjoy Andy Andrews too, and will have to check out The Traveler's Gift. The Christian Contentment book sounds intriguing as well. THANK YOU for visiting me, and for giving my daughter thoughts on her photos also!

Literature Crazy said...

I've got The Noticer on my TBR. Andrews seems like such a nuanced writer that I can't wait for it.

Enjoy the summer reading!

Barbara H. said...

I have a rather lengthy list of books I want to read, too. And it keeps getting longer by seeing others' recommendations on blogs. I don't know if I'll ever get to them all -- but then I will always have something to look forward to!

I don't think I have read any of these. I like that you put why you were reading each one.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails