image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Self-Restraint (Day 25, Proverbs)

Proverbs 25:16
“If you have found honey, eat only enough for you, lest you have your fill of it and vomit it.”


When a dessert is sitting on the counter, I want to eat it. Hungry or not. It tastes good to my tongue, whether my stomach is empty or whether my stomach is full.

Vomiting is probably the most effective deterrent to mass overeating.

What about the smaller doses of indulgences though? If my stomach immediately forced up the Cadbury creme eggs I feed it every Easter, I would definitely quit eating them, but it hasn't happened yet.

Maybe if food were less readily available, or if it were available only in limited supply, would that make a difference in the amount I eat? Would I treasure it more by eating less of it now, having to save some for later? Would I eat a smaller amount if I knew it was all the food in the house and had to be split between many people?

I think...yes. But I’ve not been tested. Desserts ARE readily available at my house, and there IS always more where that came from.

What’s left to stop me? Self-control. A seriously-healthy fruit of the Spirit, not a dessert. Lord, can I please have my fill of that?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails