image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Pay your taxes (Day 16, Proverbs)

Proverbs 16:8
“Better is a little with righteousness than great revenues with injustice.”

I’ve been working on my taxes this week. Reluctantly. It’s hard to have to report dividend income on stocks that took a suicidal dive.

But I will. For it is “far better to be right and poor than to be wrong and rich” (The Message).

I think of Jesus, with no place to lay his head. Of Paul telling Timothy, “If we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.” (1 Timothy 6:8). Of his letter to the Philippians: "I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content" (Philippians 4:11).

Money buys stuff, but stuff doesn’t count.

So if I give the government more of my money than I want to, what have I lost? Really, nothing. The clear conscience I gain is worth much more.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails