image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Spectacular Sins - For Christ's Glory?

“So the king did not listen to the people, for it was a turn of affairs brought about by God...”
~ 2 Chronicles 10:15
“Now therefore behold, the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouth of these your prophets....”
~ 2 Chronicles 18:22
“But Amaziah would not listen, for it was of God, in order that he might give them into the hand of their enemies, because they had sought the gods of Edom.”
~ 2 Chronicles 25:20

These scriptures and their kin have always puzzled me. Would God intentionally bring about an evil turn of events? Why would he put lying spirits in anyone’s mouth? Why would he ensure bad advice was given to a king?

But it’s these scriptures and these types of questions that John Piper dares to answer in Spectacular Sins and Their Global Purpose in the Glory of Christ.”

What is evil? “Anything and everything opposed to the fullest display of the glory of Christ.” The most spectacular sin? The murder of Jesus Christ.

But “the worst sin ever committed served to show the greatest glory of Christ and obtain the sin-conquering gift of God’s grace. ...God made evil commit suicide in doing its worst evil.”

More questions from Piper (not including my own long list):
  • Why does God want us to know about his sovereignty over sin?
  • Why does God not restrain sin more often?
  • How is Christ glorified in a world of sin?
If the following statements are true, that
“Paul’s antidote for wimpy Christians is weighty doctrine.
...Great biblical truths are fuel in the fire of the God-centered soul,”
I anticipate throwing more wood on the bonfire as the study goes on. Will I come away with a stronger belief that nothing happens to me, even bad things, without first gaining God’s permission, for his glory and my good?

If so, what’s there ever to worry about? Nothing. In theory, I get it. In practice, well, let’s just say I need more practice.

This is my second reading of this book (it was runner-up in "My Top 8 of 2008"), but the first time with a group. I look forward to their comments for mutual growth and understanding.

Piper says, “The main point of this book is not information for your heads, but application to your lives.” When I finish the book, I’ll reevaluate his statement and see if he answered his and my questions. Stay tuned, or better yet, download your own copy (it's free!) and join the conversation...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails