image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

What now?

Ann Patchett wrote a delightful little book What Now? based upon the graduation speech she delivered at Sarah Lawrence College. There have been many times in my own life when I’ve been faced with “What now?”. And in spite of myself, God has always come through with the answer. Eventually. In his own timing, which, I admit, was usually slower than what I expected or desired. But nonetheless was best.

After accumulating a few years and experiences together, I’m slowly learning to depend on his timing and his mysterious methods of using unexpected people and places and things to teach me what’s next. He’s proven trustworthy thus far, and I anticipate no backsliding anytime soon. He just requires me to keep my eyes open to watch the surprises unfold.


One of Ann’s reflections:

“It was for me the start of a lesson that I never stop having to learn: to pay attention to the things I’ll probably never need to know, to listen carefully to the people who look as if they have nothing to teach me, to see school as something that goes on everywhere, all the time, not just in libraries but in parking lots, in airports, in trees.”


That's what's now. I can do that.

More from What Now?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails