image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Pour on the salt





You wouldn't think there could be so many jewels in 2 Chronicles, but here are just a few I found today...

1 Ch 10:15 "So the king [Rehoboam] did not listen to the people, for it was a turn of affairs [environment, circumstances] brought about by God that the LORD might fulfill his word, which he spoke by Ahijah...."

This made me think of a parenting struggle I have. Sometimes I know the "turn of affairs" is indeed brought about by God and his principles, but I'm still tempted to step in and rescue my child anyway from those consequences. Maybe if I'll remember this verse in those times, it will help me resist.

2Ch 12:7 When the LORD saw that they humbled themselves, the word of the LORD came to Shemaiah: "They have humbled themselves. I will not destroy them, but I will grant them some deliverance, and my wrath shall not be poured out on Jerusalem by the hand of Shishak.

2Ch 12:12 And when he humbled himself the wrath of the LORD turned from him, so as not to make a complete destruction. Moreover, conditions were good in Judah.

God obviously honors humility in us. So why is it so hard to be humble?

2Ch 13:5 Ought you not to know that the LORD God of Israel gave the kingship over Israel forever to David and his sons by a covenant of salt?

A covenant of salt? That meant it was a lasting, perpetual covenant, one made through a sacrifice, and sacrifices were always salted, per the Lord's orders. So maybe when Jesus calls US to be the salt of the earth, one meaning is that we are to be continually seasoning the perpetual sacrifice he made/makes for the world.

2Ch 13:12 Behold, God is with us at our head.... O sons of Israel, do not fight against the LORD, the God of your fathers, for you cannot succeed."

We truly can never succeed without the Lord. What passes as success in the world's eyes (and often mine) is NOT really success if God is not in it.

2Ch 13:18 ...The men of Judah prevailed, because they relied on the LORD, the God of their fathers.

Trust Him; trust Him; trust Him. How many different times, situations, ways, etc. has God used to help us get that? Lord, help me get it. Help me trust you more.

1 comment:

Kay said...

This was really good for me to read tonight. I'm trying to take to heart the thought that as we humble ourselves, God's wrath will turn from us and we won't be completely destroyed. He does make that clear over and over again... why is it such a hard lesson to learn?

But as you said, trust Him, trust Him, trust Him...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails