image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

“God’s Love Letters to You”—Book review

God's_Love_Letters_to_You_by_Larry_Crabb

God says: You want Me to solve your problems, but you don’t know what your worst problem is, the one responsible for all the others.

You don’t yet realize that distance from Me is the most lethal problem you have. 
   ~ DR. LARRY CRABB, God’s Love Letters to You: A 40-Day Devotional Experience

Benefits

  • 40 short but challenging lessons
  • Bible readings each day
  • 3 or 4 questions to ponder daily
  • Prayers for each day

Caution

I’m uncomfortable when authors speak in God’s voice (like Sarah Young’s Jesus Calling, although I still read it often and benefit greatly from it). This book does that. So read it discerningly, knowing that its words are from a human author, not the actual divine Word of God.

Recommended

But with that disclaimer understood, I’d recommend this book to someone looking for a small devotional to do for 40 days. It’s based on 66 Love Letters which I also heartily recommend and listed as Honorable Mention in my Top 10 Books of 2010.

Dr. Larry Crabb is a well-known and respected author of several books that have helped me through the years, including Men and Women: Enjoying the Difference, one of my top 10 life-changing books; Inside Out; Shattered Dreams, short excerpts here and here; and Encouragement: the Key to Caring.

Excerpt

Here is a taste from “Day Thirty-Nine: Jude” of God’s Love Letters to You:

In brokenness, you will know my power. Jude 1:20-21 Msg

Carefully build yourselves up in this most holy faith by praying in the Holy Spirit, staying right at the center of God's love, keeping your arms open and outstretched, ready for the mercy of our Master, Jesus Christ.
Jude 1:20-21 MSG

   ...Don’t be surprised by your failure. Instead, be surprised, staggered by My response.

   Only in worship will you keep yourself in My love.

   Only in brokenness will you know My power to keep you from falling….

TAKE A MOMENT TO REFLECT
Do you think the ache you feel in life is more over the failures and disappointments of others, or over your failure to love others?

If your deepest ache is felt when others fail you, what does this say about your understanding of sin?

TAKE A MOMENT TO PRAY
Father, I may be starting to understand why the way is narrow. It requires me to see my own failure without justification. I don’t like what I see, but I am starting to believe it is the path to life. May I not fear brokenness or be surprised by my repeated failures to love. May I be surprised by Your response to how far short I fall of Your glory. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
 

* * *

Thanks to BookSneeze for the review copy of God’s Love Letters to You.

7 comments:

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Beautiful and convicting, Lisa! Thanks for sharing!

Barbara H. said...

I share your caution in reading an author's use of God's voice for his words, but read discerningly, as you say, it can be helpful some times.

This sounds like a very convicting book.

Bobbi said...

Lisa, thank you for sharing that "God voiced" makes you nervous. I was thinking there was something wrong with me cuz Sarah Young makes me SUPER nervous. I just got a book called "God Blog" and it was over the top. I just feel like I have to be on SUPER guard the whole time I read these things...just in case someone blasphemes. EEK! It is encouraging to know you "benefit" from some of it though. Thanks!

Lisa notes... said...

So I'm glad you ladies see what I'm saying. I do still think we can glean good messages when people write in that way if we already know the Word enough to be discerning, but as for me, I find it too presumptuous to do myself...

Beth in NC said...

Thanks for mentioning the book and the warning!

Bless you!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Lisa, I just had to pop back over and echo your "WOW" at the timing of your mentioning Spiritual Depression and my post. . . I think that's a Divine Appointment, huh?

Lisa notes... said...

Amy,
Yes, I do think it was a Divine Appointment! I know a lot of people have read “Spiritual Depression” and occasionally mention it, but for us to be starting it at the same time and to both mention it back-to-back in relation to TWIW is a wink from God.

I’ll be encouraged as I read to know that you are reading along too. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails