image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

There’s an all-seeing eye

eye watching youTUESDAY OF THE SECOND WEEK OF ADVENT

Many kids are sleeping with one eye open the month of December. They’re watching for Santa watching them. And some have double duty watching an Elf watching them.

It’s not much different for some adults.

Do you know this song?

All along on the road to the soul’s true abode,
There’s an Eye watching you;
Every step that you take this great eye is awake,
There’s an Eye watching you.

Watching you, watching you,
Ev’ry day mind the course you pursue;
Watching you, watching you,
There’s an all-seeing Eye watching you.

When I was growing up, Mrs. M would sit behind us in the pews at church. We’d sometimes wonder if she was the all-seeing eye watching us. We felt her glare. It made for nervous feelings.

So I was glad to grow up and discover that while yes, God is watching me, it’s not to wag a finger at me if I giggle with my girlfriends during the sermon.

It’s to help me. To protect me. To love me.

He wanted all along to save me (1 Timothy 2:3-4). And everybody else. That’s why Jesus came, with his two sweet baby eyes, to watch over us and save us.

And because he’s watching, we can calmly close both our eyes each silent night and sleep in heavenly peace

I like this song much better:

Silent night, holy night
Son of God, love's pure light
Radiant beams from Thy holy face
With the dawn of redeeming grace
Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth
Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth

* * *

How does it makes you feel knowing that God is watching you?

(Thoughts inspired by Michael Dubruiel’s Be Vigilant: Daily Meditations for Advent)

3 comments:

Dianna said...

Lisa, thank you so much for this wonderful explanation about God watching us...and that He does it with love being the governing force.

It does seem that even in Christian homes and even in our churches today, so many use the first illustration you used, to try making people do what THEY want them to do.

Mary, over at Me, Myself and Mercy, left a powerful post today about the free will He gives us ...really goes along well with your post.

Hmmm...maybe God is establishing a pattern here for me to see and ponder today.

Have a wonderful day!

Barbara H. said...

That first song seems a little spooky! I like the second one better as well -- or maybe "His Eye Is On the Sparrow."

I think how I feel about His always watching me depends on what I am doing when I think about it. :-D Mostly it is a comfort.

Lisa notes... said...

Dianna,
Thanks for pointing me to Mary’s blog. She had some powerful words and is in a difficult situation to be sure…

Barbara,
Ha. I agree; it does often depend on what we are doing as to how we feel about God watching us.

“His Eye Is on the Sparrow” – definitely a better song than "Watching You". My daughter received a handout today about the origin of her name {small bird} and it had the verses about Jesus watching over the sparrows. A nice theme for the day...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails