image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Who is the greatest saint?

christmas_bear

Would you know who is the greatest saint in the world?

It is not he who prays most or fasts most; it is not he who gives most alms or is most eminent for temperance, chastity, or justice; but it is he who is always thankful to God, who wills everything that God wills, who receives everything as an instance of God’s goodness and has a heart always ready to praise God for it.
- WILLIAM LAW

That is not me.

Honestly, it’s still sometimes hard for me to even imagine those words as true, that God really cares more about whether I care, than about what I do.

Because he knows that when I care, I will do.

I want to care more. Plus pray more. Fast more. Give more alms.

But I want most to want more to be thankful, to see more of God’s goodness, and to have a heart more ready to praise God.

To love the most.

That’s the greatest.

If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love.
1 CORINTHIANS 1:3 (MSG)

So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
1 CORINTHIANS 13:13

* * *

Do you struggle to believe it’s more about the being than the doing?

 

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails