image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Untouchable treasure

thieves break in and stealDo not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth,
where moth and rust destroy and
where thieves break in and steal,

but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven,
where neither moth nor rust destroys and
where thieves do not break in and steal.

For where your treasure is,
there your heart will be also.
Matthew 6:19-21

They can steal your reputation
     but not your education

They can bruise & bite & sting
     but not cut healing from your King

They can make some pleasures cease
     but not enough to end your peace

They can chain you up in jail
     but they can’t send you to hell

They can distress you all your days
     but can’t displace your praise

They can make your life a pain
     but they can’t remove your gain

They can cause your dying breath
     but they can’t control your death

They can bleed you ‘til you’re dead
     but can’t drain the blood He shed

Because in the end
     you still win
Your treasures aren’t here
     this place’s not dear
They’re over there
     with no wear and tear
No burn, no loss
     when your treasure’s
          in the Cross

* * *

Today’s one word at a time is treasure.

RELATED:

9 comments:

Russell Holloway said...

Nice ... Your poem made me think about the real value of Treasure :-)

Helen said...

When I first saw the choice of words for the One Word Carnival, I thought of that passage (But then the song "Schatzi, Schatzi" started playing in my head and you saw how that went...). I'm glad you wrote such a lovely poem based on Jesus's words.

katdish said...

That's great! Sort of had a rap beat behind it as I was reading it, but I'm weird like that.

Lisa notes... said...

That’s kinda how I heard it as I was writing it. I’m weird like that too. :-)

Katie said...

Beautiful!

Trisha said...

Lisa,
Wonderful!

a joyful noise said...

Your poem thrilled me without measure,
For your words spoke of that which could not be taken away,
And that was your greatest Treasure!

Lisa notes... said...

I’m smiling, Hazel. Lovely! :-) You are a more masterful poet than I.

Loni said...

We had the same thoughts with the Scripture verse . . . love your poem!

Thank you for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails