image map Home Favorites Reading About Contact

Don’t send the card?

cards to sendSometimes sending a card to the hurting
is the right thing to do.

A card isn’t intrusive. It doesn’t demand a response from the recipient who often has little energy anyway.

It just arrives quietly, tangibly, to whisper, “I care.”

I remind myself monthly to send a note to a friend whose beloved son was murdered last year. I don’t want to bug her with phone calls. I don’t want to put more burdens on her to reply back.

I just want her to know I remember. And I’m praying.

So I send a card. Usually. But it didn’t happen this week. And when I looked for a card today, I couldn’t find the right one.

Sometimes not sending a card is the right thing to do.

So I sent her a Facebook message instead. With similar words that I might have put in a card. “Been praying….You stay on my mind a lot...”

And she responded.

I didn’t expect it. It was a gift. I learned that times are still hard. Grief is still heavy. And new problems don’t stay away just because old ones linger.

So I’m re-armed with up-to-date prayer requests for my friend.

       Renewed by the faith she carries so bravely  
       (even though she can’t always see that herself). 

               Refreshed by the grace of her reply.

Because I didn’t send a card this month.

* * *

When has your Plan B worked better than your Plan A?

Related:

9 comments:

Nikki (Sarah) said...

Hi Lisa...I think that's great that you reach out to show you care...by snail mail card or facebook....either way works to give someone that feel...they're special. And I think you're special for even doing this....Hope your weekend is great.

Cathy said...

I used to be very good about card, but at my age now, I'm not doing that well. I do love cards though.

Joan Hall said...

I think the important thing is that you let her know that you care and that you are praying. These days, we have so many ways to communicate - Facebook, email, blogs, cell phones, and good 'ole snail mail.

A handwritten card is always nice, but just being there for someone in times of need or distress is a priceless gift.

Blessings,
Joan

Anonymous said...

Bless you for remembering your dear friend and anticipating the difficulty she would have with this "anniversary."

Anonymous said...

Plan B did work out better. Updates to help you know how to pray are a blessing.

Jocelyn said...

Cards are awesome, but sometimes all it takes to touch someone is just a simple message. So glad you were blessed with an immediate response. =)

Hope your weekend was blessed!

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

Cards are always so nice, but so is facebook.I'm not on facebook much at all but the notes always touch my heart. Your so kind to remember your friend.
Blessings,
Ginger

Barbara H. said...

It's hard to know, sometimes, what would be helpful and what would be "bugging," but as you demonstrated, as you seek the Lord He leads to the right approach, time, words, etc.

Pamela said...

From facing grief myself I know that reaching out in a way that doesn't require a response is a wonderful gift. Card or facebook, it doesn't matter. The knowledge someone cares does.

I am amazed at your care--I would call it sheltering your friend--all throughout this tough year. You will never know what it meant, I'm sure.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails